On highway gear doesn't engage and rev shoot up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > On highway gear doesn't engage and rev shoot up.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #1
NoPeace
1994 ZJ 

On highway gear doesn't engage and rev shoot up.

Hey,

Noob Here. I've been having an issue with my vehicle and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on things I can look at before I take it in.

When I'm on the highway from time to time around the 60-70 MPH it feels like my transmission disengages, I lose any acceleration and my RPMs shoot up to 3 or 4k (depending on how much gas I give it). On about a 1000 mile trip this happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times.

I was forced to pull off to the side of the road, turn the car off and on and everything is fine from then on.

Does anyone have any idea on whats going on here? The transmission has been completely replaced less than 4000 miles ago.

Thanks!

Last edited by NoPeace; 10-15-2012 at 10:37 PM..
NoPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

your tranny is slipping. thats very bad.check the fluid, see what colour it is. i'd bet its brown sludge.......mechanic shop will tell you its pooched. a fluid flush/filter change might buy you some time though.

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
NoPeace
1994 ZJ 

Fluid is red, looks good. I got this transmission put in less than 4000 miles ago, I was told it had less than 80,000 miles on it.

It was working perfectly well for awhile. I always assumed slipping would be a progressive issue that worsened over time, but I never had any sort of play on my RMPs before and all my gears shifted effortlessly.
Then all of a sudden my tranny completely disengages from time to time, would slipping cause such a drastic effect all of a sudden?
Unread 10-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What kind of fluid is in it?
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 03:47 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

did you get a warranty with the rebuild? most decent places give a 12k warranty.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
NoPeace
1994 ZJ 

I have no idea what kind of fluid is in it, whatever the mechanic put in when he put in the transmission.

I believe my warranty on the transmission itself is out, since I had it shipped in and it wasn't a rebuild (i believe I had a 3 month warranty or something on it). I can however bring it in and have the mechanic take a look, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't some sensor or something crapping out on me. I felt it was strange that pulling the car over and restarting it fixed me issues for the time being.
Unread 10-16-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

what you've describe is typical of a tranny slipping. 80k miles on it? its possible its pooched. i'm guessing that perhaps on the longer road trip the tranny is heating up and thats why its slipping. and on shorter trips it doens't get to hot. could be a host of problems as to why its overheating. but slippage often happens from to much heat. heat kills auto tranny's. go do yourself a favor. pull your codes, see if it does anything.

to do this, go do the 'three' key trick to pull your codes. watch the 'OD' orange indicator light and count the blinks. this is how you can access any stored tranny codes. it will do a series of blinks and stop in between. so you will get, for example, 5 blinks, a pause then 5 blinks. if you get that, its code 55. that means no codes.

you might be lucky to get a code for a sensor or something. if you get 55, ummmm.....

05' WK Hemi limited ~ family hauler

RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.