Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Highbeams ALWAYS on!

938 views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Scott98GC 
#1 ·
My dad decided it'd be nice and steal the Jeep to get a new battery - about time after 7 years and 191k miles. So we get it done, and I get home to see the high beams on; the vehicle is off, headlights are turned off, and highbeam dash light is on. So I hit the switch to turn them off, and it lightly flashes (like maybe an extra half volt of power) and it doesn't turn off. So there's absolutely no way for me to get my highbeams off...

HELP! I don't want a dead battery.
(pulled 30 Amp Mega fuse to kill all power to headlights.)

#2 ·
Disconnect & clean cables. Reconnect and hit the panic button on the fob. Hit the panic button again to turn off.

Crank vehicle and turn lights on & then w/ high beams. Tuen engine off, then turn off lights. (All guesses at what might give more clues.)

There may also be a delay setting that has been activated in the driver display where the lights stay on for a couple of minutes as you exit the jeep. Check that too.

I'm really stumped otherwise....

#3 ·
Ahh, I wish. I'll try the Panic on the key fob tomorrow when it's not nighttime. As far as the driver settings, sadly it's a 98 Laredo, so it's missing those fun options of autolights and things like that. But it is Canadian... so it has daytime running lights... which I think may be part of the problem. If not, I'm just looking for a relay or something for the high beams, since the high beam indicator is also on all of the time. And I have concluded that it is NOT the switch (disconnected switch and highbeams still on.)

#7 ·
Ah ha! Got it working! Thanks to info buried within the forum by other members. On the '97 and '98 Canadian GC's, the Daytime Running Light module is located under the power distribution center just behind the battery. The DRL mod. is fairly large and silver with a plug on the end. I unplugged it and the highbeams went out! Now everything works, other than the highbeam indicator light in the dash doesn't come on now. I'll have to check out the price of the module on Monday. :rofl:

#9 ·
There is some sort of design flaw in the Canadian '95 model. If you use the high-beam switch to do the "flash to pass" thing, it will sometimes smoke the DRL module. I've fried 2 of them on my '95.
I don't recall how much mine was, fairly easy to replace if you don't mind standing on your head :)

The first time it happened, I had no idea what was happening, and a fair amount of smoke came from under the dash. I pulled over, and disconnected the battery. :eek:

#10 ·
A while back a Jeep mechanic talked about soldering a new wire between two components on the DRL module and then the module would be as good as new again and wouldn't fry. I want to say you just open the module and connect the two connections between the component that was fried but I don't recall exactly...can try searching for it.

-RYan

#11 ·
The_Penguin said:
There is some sort of design flaw in the Canadian '95 model. If you use the high-beam switch to do the "flash to pass" thing, it will sometimes smoke the DRL module. I've fried 2 of them on my '95.
I don't recall how much mine was, fairly easy to replace if you don't mind standing on your head :)

The first time it happened, I had no idea what was happening, and a fair amount of smoke came from under the dash. I pulled over, and disconnected the battery. :eek:
The DRL Mod was $129 Can retail, my cost $95. The module went bad after using the "flash to pass" on the turn signals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.