High Pitched Whining Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Pitched Whining Noise

JKS Flex Connect in Actions!CCOR is Hiring! Athens, GA!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 06-26-2015, 05:35 PM   #1
OdintheWanderer
1994 ZJ 

High Pitched Whining Noise

I've got a 94 Grand Cherokee limited that makes this god awful whining noise. It starts when I start moving in drive, it doesn't make it in reverse, but it's not really all that bad until I get to about 15-20 mph. After I hit that it gets worse and worse until I hit about 65-75 mph. It also dies down for like a minute once I let off the gas coming back but not quite as bad ( about a 7/10 compared to a 9/10 when I'm pressing the gas ). I just replaced the front drive shaft but it was doing this well before I replaced the drive shaft and well before I bought it, I got it from my grandfather for $500 in hopes that it was a fairly easy fix but I haven't been able to figure out what the problem is. I'll probably take it in if you guys don't know what's up with it (as a last resort, cause I'd rather not spend the money).

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks

OdintheWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #2
dharwood
1998 ZJ 

Could be ring gear/pinion in either the front or rear (assuming 4wd) or diff bearings. Does it change if you take your foot off the gas say at 55? (different sound when foot is on vs off the gas) or does it remain pretty contant?

Dale
dharwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 06:01 PM   #3
Bob T
1995 ZJ 

What about the rear drive shaft? Also did you check the fluid levels in the differentials and transfer case?
Bob T
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
OdintheWanderer
1994 ZJ 

Yeah it will get quieter for a short time when I take my foot off the gas but it picks up again before I put my foot back on the gas.
Unread 06-26-2015, 06:12 PM   #5
OdintheWanderer
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob T View Post
What about the rear drive shaft? Also did you check the fluid levels in the differentials and transfer case?
Bob T
The only reason I replaced the front drive shaft was because it was making a clunking noise when I put it in gear because it was missing some piece, I can't tell you what piece it was but it was definitely missing the piece. I assumed that the rear was fine, probably not a good thing to do when working on a vehicle. And I didn't even think to check the fluids in the the differentials and transfer case. I'll have to do that once I get a little time to mess with it.
Unread 06-26-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
dharwood
1998 ZJ 

Post back with the contents of the front and rear diffs as far as fluid and how much metal is on the magnet. If no one has "attempted to resolve this" previously, I am betting on a low/dry diff. Evidence of fluid around the pinion area is another indication.
Sounds a lot like my Cherokee D30 when I bought it. R&P + bearings cured it. Someone had been in it to the point of having the bearing caps on the wrong side and upside down.
Idiots..... (-:

Dale
dharwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
OdintheWanderer
1994 ZJ 

Alright update time: so I finally had the time to check the fluid levels and found that the front was pretty low and the rear was fine. I also decided to check the transfer case as well while I was at it which was good cause that was also low. So after filling the front diff and tcase back up I drove it a couple miles and it seemed to help at first but now I cant tell if there is a difference before or after I added fluid.
Unread 07-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #8
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

If it makes noise on acceleration, but not on decel, and it gets louder as speed increases, it's probably a bad pinion bearing. Recommend replacing your differential pinion and carrier bearings and seals.

FUEL ECONOMY IS FOR LOSERS
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #9
OdintheWanderer
1994 ZJ 

Thats what I was told do to after the fluid level check didnt fix it so that's my next project. Ill let you guys know how it turns out when I find the time to work on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.