High Output V8 vs. Standard V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Output V8 vs. Standard V8

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-29-2006, 06:57 AM   #1
gambit023

High Output V8 vs. Standard V8

Hey y'all. I'm a potential first time Jeep buyer and wanted your opinion on the HO V8's and the Standard V8's offered for the 2002-2004 GC's.

What are the trade offs? I'm assuming that the cost of maintaining the HO will be higher due to less of them on the roads and less parts kept in stock for them.

What give the HO V8 those 30 more horses? They're both 4.7's right? Does one have a supercharger on it?

I'm eyeing a 02 Overland right now but do not want to get stuck with something that no one knows how to work on.

Please post your insights. Any info is greatly appreciated!

gambit023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Turbonut

Read this page, then investigate the rest of the site:
http://www.wjjeeps.com/ho_engine.htm

We're not talking about a one of a kind, unique engine here. It can be serviced just like the std 4.7 but naturally parts differ e.g. plugs, air filter. It requires premium fuel for optimum performance, but it will tolerate regular. I've never driven a HO, but with the performance of my '01 Laredo 4.7, I can just imagine how the HO must respond.
Turbonut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #3
capeennui

HO vs

The WJ jeeps page should give you most of the information. Freer flowing intake and larger bore throttle body, more ignition advance (hence the need to run preumium fuel) and most importantly, more aggressive camshafts. I don't know whether or not the heads are different.
capeennui is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
wino_ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit023
What give the HO V8 those 30 more horses? They're both 4.7's right? Does one have a supercharger on it?
Check wjjeeps for the differences, it lists them very well.

Both engines are 4.7L

Neither have SC.

I love my H.O. but it came with the Jeep I got...I didn't seek it out. But very happy it had it, cause the little High Output decal on the rear lift gate sure does make it snappier.

Stock Stuff: V8 H.O.|RB1|Sirius|Skids|Tow Package
Goodies: K&N FIPK|Headlight Harness w/ PIAA's|OME Springs|MX6 Shocks|.75" Spacers|JKS ATB|JKS Discos|OME SS|Addco R Sway|16x8 Rockcrawlers|275/70/16 Revos|JKS Sliderz|Addco Front Sway

...:::Past Rides:::...
2002 Lexus IS300 Turbo 471rwhp - Super Street Mag Jan. '05 Issue *SOLD*
1990 Gunmetal XJ *SOLD*
1995 Black YJ *SOLD*
1997 Green ZJ *SOLD*
1990 Blue XJ *SOLD*
wino_ii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:55 PM   #5
gambit023

cool deal.. thanks guys.

sucks that the search function isn't working... or is it?
gambit023 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
wino_ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambit023
cool deal.. thanks guys.

sucks that the search function isn't working... or is it?
only for supporters.

Stock Stuff: V8 H.O.|RB1|Sirius|Skids|Tow Package
Goodies: K&N FIPK|Headlight Harness w/ PIAA's|OME Springs|MX6 Shocks|.75" Spacers|JKS ATB|JKS Discos|OME SS|Addco R Sway|16x8 Rockcrawlers|275/70/16 Revos|JKS Sliderz|Addco Front Sway

...:::Past Rides:::...
2002 Lexus IS300 Turbo 471rwhp - Super Street Mag Jan. '05 Issue *SOLD*
1990 Gunmetal XJ *SOLD*
1995 Black YJ *SOLD*
1997 Green ZJ *SOLD*
1990 Blue XJ *SOLD*
wino_ii is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #7
///BHRpowered

I don't think 30hp is worth the extra money or badge. I mean on an american built high volume motor thats like intake and exhaust, maybe nothng more then a chip. I will take my std 4.7 and put the s/c on it

[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2370949]2000 Millenia S...Five figure spending account[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2384051]1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee...Gone but never forgotton[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2383985]2003 BMW M3 SMG...For Sale, PM if interested[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2484240]2000 "Jeep Grand Cherokee...4.7, Quadra-Drive, Loaded.[/url]
"A dark and bitter chill fills the air. once thriving life wallows away into ash as he slithers past, the very stars themselfs part to make way for his haunting, yet oddly claim arrival. Bhr approaches." - Hatter

"But i have to say, BHR's rants go hand in hand with moring coffee to get my day started - RXL"

Admin - [url]http://www.mazdaworld.net[/url]
///BHRpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 09:25 PM   #8
warsenault

my 02 Overland's HO is very peppy. My wife seems to be heavier on the right pedal more than me. I am more impressed with the WJ torque for climbing even over stupid stuff like curbs. My silverado 1500 5.3 sometimes strained climbing up a little curb. of course it was alot more heavy too.
warsenault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-04-2006, 11:47 PM   #9
nierace
2003 WJ 

The thing with the HO's was that they came with the LSD on the front and rear axle, thats the real reason why you should want it

But you're going to get 1-2mpg worse than the regular 4.7, and it really is not much quicker about .5 second 0-60 not even....
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 02:36 AM   #10
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///BHRpowered
I don't think 30hp is worth the extra money or badge. I mean on an american built high volume motor thats like intake and exhaust, maybe nothng more then a chip. I will take my std 4.7 and put the s/c on it
Isnt there an extra 60 ft-lbs of torque too? Thats nice to have. And nierace, .5 off a 0-60 is a huge amount.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #11
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
The thing with the HO's was that they came with the LSD on the front and rear axle, thats the real reason why you should want it ...
You can get front and rear limited slip diffs with the non-HO 4.7 too.

And there are 2wd HO V8s, so you don't always get f/r limited slip.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
nierace
2003 WJ 

I thought that was part of the HO package ? What other package comes with front & rear LSD ? I could have sworn all you can get with the regular 4.7 is rear LSD...

.5 second is huge off a sports car doing 4 seconds to 60 but from 7.4 seconds to 6.9 seconds isnt very noticeable...
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:36 AM   #13
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace
I thought that was part of the HO package ? What other package comes with front & rear LSD ? I could have sworn all you can get with the regular 4.7 is rear LSD...
All Quadra Drive WJs have front and rear limited slip.
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2006, 08:55 AM   #14
nierace
2003 WJ 

Quadra-Drive was not a option on the standard V8 laredo or limited when I purchased mine....you had to get either a Freedom Edition with the HO or a Overland with the HO...

I guess it depends on the years... but show me a regular 4.7 or a 4.0 with qd = )
Unread 07-05-2006, 09:10 AM   #15
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Actually, QD has always been an option on V8 Limiteds. Whoever told you it wasn't wanted to sell you just what was on the lot at that time. The Overland model came with both the HO engine and QD, although the two were options on the Limited model. Interestingly, in 2004, a 2WD version of the Overland was available. So, in a 2004 model, you can't assume that even the Overland has both features.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.