High Output Alternator - Anybody Use One? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Output Alternator - Anybody Use One?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-26-2005, 09:00 PM   #1
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

High Output Alternator - Anybody Use One?

I'm running a stereo with a capacitor and now adding some a number of road lights and I have the stock 4.0L alternator. I'm thinking about getting a high output alternator - any recommendations? I see Mean Green - anybody have one?
Any other brands. I know the Orvis Model came with a higher output Alt. from the factory. I just notice that this winter my battery is always taking on a pretty good charge. And the lights aren't on yet.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Phil

TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:09 PM   #2
midwest97gc

I used to have a PPI 1200 with a true 1200 watts going to six 10 inch W O's with a yellow top battery, a Stinger 5.0 Capacitor, and a 200 alternator. I never ONCE saw that battery gauge move.

You could go with a 200 alternator and a yellow top and you could pretty much throw anything at it.

The first time I had this system (just the amp and subs, no battery/cap/alt), The truck died as soon as I turned it on. I then put the cap, and it would run but when I put the lights on it would die, and I had to hold it at 2000 rpm or more when the system was turned up. Then I got the yellow top and it was perfect with lights on and the streeo up, but they would dim ALL the time. So I went with the ALT lastly and I am confident I could put in 2 more subs with no problem.

Hope this helps

Cassius
[COLOR=White]2" BB, Edelbrock Shocks, 31X10.5 A/T MT's on Stock Rims, Bump Extensions, Custom Skid Plates, De-pinstripped, De-badged, 5% tint ALL the way around, Yellow top battery, Grounding Kit, 200 Amp Alternator, (6) 10in JL Audio WO's, (2) JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Amps, Alpine IVA-D300 Headunit, MB Quart mids and highs all the way around, and the volume always at 100[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]JOIN [URL=http://www.norml.org/index.cfm]NORML[/URL] TODAY - FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FOR RESPONSIBLE USERS[/COLOR]
midwest97gc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
midwest97gc

Oh yea... I just got a AC delco High output 200 amp alternator for $150
[COLOR=White]2" BB, Edelbrock Shocks, 31X10.5 A/T MT's on Stock Rims, Bump Extensions, Custom Skid Plates, De-pinstripped, De-badged, 5% tint ALL the way around, Yellow top battery, Grounding Kit, 200 Amp Alternator, (6) 10in JL Audio WO's, (2) JL Audio Slash 1000/1 Amps, Alpine IVA-D300 Headunit, MB Quart mids and highs all the way around, and the volume always at 100[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]JOIN [URL=http://www.norml.org/index.cfm]NORML[/URL] TODAY - FIGHTING TO LEGALIZE MARIJUANA FOR RESPONSIBLE USERS[/COLOR]
Unread 01-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #4
Phil Gerard
Former Mod

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest97gc
Cassius,
Yeah, that helps a lot!
Phil
TW DC DS; ARB Bull Bar, F&R Air Lockers; Superior Axles; Warn Winch; 4.56 gears; ACOS, Addco F&R Sw Bar, JKS Discos, Rr Track Bar & Nerfs, 249>242 Swap, Stillen rotors+Kolak pads, 3 pc. Armor, RE 4.5 Kit + 2.5"BB, Adj. UCAs&LCAs, OME SS, Bilstein 5150s, 15x8 AR Diamond Backs, 33 Truxus MTs, K&N FIPK, RE 62mm TB, Perf. Distr. 4.0L Kit, Exhaust: 2.5" Kolak exhaust FM 70: Optima Yellow, Mean Grn Alt., PIAA 520s, 540s, Kevins Rack, & TB Conversion
Phil Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #5
CaliforniaJeep

I have the MeanGreen HO w/redtop battery. The MeanGreen has no problem what so ever charging your system and accessories I have two 12" Kicker SoloBarics L7's with two 750RMS Alpine Amps. I had an experience when I had my system with stock battery and alt at a stoplight by the movie theater and these two girls in thier BMW came up on the side of me and started rockin to the beats but then my system totally cutout! It was embarrassing It turned out to be ok because we met later that night at a party and laughed about it

Hope that helps
Unread 01-26-2005, 11:19 PM   #6
PumaZJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest97gc
I'm running the same thing. Its a MUCH better option to the $300+ mean green alt. I used to run 4 lights on my roof rack and a huge system but got rid of it. I graduated high school which rendered that stuff useles...

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4421
PumaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #7
midwest97gc

That Meangreen one is one serious alternator, but you get pretty much the same dependability and quality from the AC Delco for half the price.

To CaliforniaJeep- That is funny as hell, I cant tell you how many times that has happened..... good ol summer nights, i cant wait until summer so I can pound and meet girls. They go into hiding from October to April around my neck of the woods, but once good ol spring comes out, so do the ladies!!!!

Cassius

Get the DELCO

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.