High Milage Transmission Flush - 96 ZJ - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Milage Transmission Flush - 96 ZJ

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdGear Packages Available! Your # 1 Diff Shop is ROCKRIDGE 4

Unread 02-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #46
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herqulees View Post
As I said before that piece looks like an exact fit, only way I could tell you exactly is if I had it in my hand but superglue has held mine for over 5000miles now which broke the exact same way as yours.
As LouC said fix it with super glue and order that one as a back up.

I shall superglue if the replacement isnt available/won't work... hope it works out either way...

josephsproles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:58 PM   #47
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

so on the 96 4.0 for some reason they put an "extended" plastic piece on the end, allowing the use of around 1.5-2 inches less cable, thus, when it breaks, using the cable end I posted, it will be completely pulled tight without the throttle extended, meaning it is of no use! HAVE to replace it on this cable, so I went ahead and orded the "clip" style cable rather then the push button self adjusting... NOW... HOW do you install this cable and uninstall the old one without dropping the pan? I have read on a bunch of forums that you dont need to drop the pan... NOT driving the ZJ is KILLING ME... Help.
josephsproles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #48
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsproles View Post
so on the 96 4.0 for some reason they put an "extended" plastic piece on the end, allowing the use of around 1.5-2 inches less cable, thus, when it breaks, using the cable end I posted, it will be completely pulled tight without the throttle extended, meaning it is of no use! HAVE to replace it on this cable, so I went ahead and orded the "clip" style cable rather then the push button self adjusting... NOW... HOW do you install this cable and uninstall the old one without dropping the pan? I have read on a bunch of forums that you dont need to drop the pan... NOT driving the ZJ is KILLING ME... Help.
The kick down cable has nothing to do with anything in the oil pan, it's just a cable pulling a lever on the side of the transmission, just follow the cable and you'll find the other end. Three options;
1. Super glue the old piece back together.
2. Buy the new cable end and cut 1.5 to 2inches of sheathing off the cable allowing it to move more.
3. Buy the entire new cable and replace it.

If you MUST replace the entire cable and want the instructions I can scan them out of my Haynes book and post them here for you, but as I said before I recommend just super gluing and forgetting about it, you're worrying about a small thing too much.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.