High Milage Transmission Flush - 96 ZJ - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Milage Transmission Flush - 96 ZJ

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-04-2013, 07:55 PM   #31
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

so you can order JUST the clip? or you have to order the full cable... *I cannot replace the entire cable.. family mechanic is 6 hours away...

josephsproles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:10 PM   #32
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

cable, unless you find a weird clip
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #33
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsproles View Post
****! my TV cable just broke off, the plastic piece, anybody know a quick plastic piece replacement?? Help!
If you still have the pieces you can use super glue, the kind with the brush applicator worked well for me. Apologies I should of warned about the brittle plastic. Because it broke on me too.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

@herqulees I found this, its much like other TV cable ends, think it would be a good replacement? break off the old plastic one and fit this on the end...
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...tent+cable+end
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #35
LouC
2007 WK 

I fixed one of those with 3M Structural Adhesive. The dealer said you have to buy the whole damn cable. Ha Ha fixed it myself. Sometimes I get furious at ChryCo for making cheap plastic stuff, the older style of trans cable adjustment was better.

Not only did I fix that stupid clip, also fixed the grill reinforcement panel, the loom for the plug wires on the 4.0, and other cheap plastic bits.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/3m-s...FYLd4Aodt0YAQA

pick up some of this stuff, its like magic....a guy who runs a local body shop supply store turned me on to this stuff, I bought it 10 years ago still using it LOL
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #36
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
@herqulees I found this, its much like other TV cable ends, think it would be a good replacement? break off the old plastic one and fit this on the end...
Going from my memory of what the clip looked like that looks like an exact replacement to me. FYI the Jeep is still driveable, however I would not recommend any further than across town as the transmission no longer knows how to adjust it's shift points so it will pick the wrong gear a lot. I ended up driving about five miles on 45mph roads to a WalMart for superglue, other than accelerating from a stop (it would shift first - second - first (for a split second) - second - third) it was still driving fine.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #37
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
I fixed one of those with 3M Structural Adhesive. The dealer said you have to buy the whole damn cable. Ha Ha fixed it myself. Sometimes I get furious at ChryCo for making cheap plastic stuff, the older style of trans cable adjustment was better.
I agree. From what I've seen throughout my Jeep and these forums it seems this Jeep has two weaknesses. Bad soldering, and plastic where metal should be (center console arm rest, this clip... Lol)
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #38
LouC
2007 WK 

There are 2 different clips, one is the cable end (thats the one in the link) the other is the white plastic piece that you have to lift up to adjust the cable. The cable end does not break often, its the white piece that does.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #39
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
There are 2 different clips, one is the cable end (thats the one in the link) the other is the white plastic piece that you have to lift up to adjust the cable. The cable end does not break often, its the white piece that does.
I'm pretty sure it's the cable end that broke for him. That's what broke for me. The U shaped part that grabs on to the throttle body stayed on and the rest came off for me. I used some super glue and held it together for one minute in a WalMart parking lot then drove home. Lol
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #40
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

Well I only broke the cable end... would the end piece here fit and be a valid replacement?

HEres my cable
img_0173.jpg   img_0171.jpg  
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #41
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I only broke the cable end... would the end piece here fit and be a valid replacement?

HEres my cable
Yup that's an EXACT replica of how mine broke. That piece looks like it would work but if I were you I'd just put a dab of super glue on the old one and you'll be fine, as this happened to me over 5000miles ago and still no issues.

Edit: I bought a small thing of alcohol swabs from the pharmacy department and used them to wipe down the entire broken clip, then dabbed super glue where the clip cracked and held it together for about 60seconds. Just wanted to put in all the details in case you or anyone try the same.
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #42
LouC
2007 WK 

fix it with glue and pick up that new one as a spare....

BTW, note to self, try not to futz with this crappy plastic bits in cold weather, if you have to warm up the plastic with a hair dryer. Same goes for those crappy little retainers that hold the headlights on the adjusters. I picked up 4 spare ones from the dealer when I thought of it one day...
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

the entire C fitting broke off and is still on the throttle body, idk if glue will hold that, especially with wear and tear cable pressure... I know it works for some but would this new one work as a replacement? straight answer please... its killing me, dont want the ZJ to sit here, gotta drive home in 2 weeks, 6 hour drive! def dont trust glue in that scenario...
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #44
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

don't glue it, that a temp fix a best
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #45
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
the entire C fitting broke off and is still on the throttle body, idk if glue will hold that, especially with wear and tear cable pressure... I know it works for some but would this new one work as a replacement? straight answer please... its killing me, dont want the ZJ to sit here, gotta drive home in 2 weeks, 6 hour drive! def dont trust glue in that scenario...
As I said before that piece looks like an exact fit, only way I could tell you exactly is if I had it in my hand but superglue has held mine for over 5000miles now which broke the exact same way as yours.
As LouC said fix it with super glue and order that one as a back up.

Tags
high mileage , seafoam , transmission fluid , transmission slipping , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.