High Milage Transmission Flush - 96 ZJ - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Milage Transmission Flush - 96 ZJ

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 02-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsproles View Post
did the pan drop and filter less than 8k ago... why would I do it again when I'd be doing the same thing, pulling oil out and putting in new... this is why i'm using the siphoning technique... and its one thing if a few people say it not to be flushed after a certain point, but when 90% of people both amateurs and vet mechanics all say the same thing about it... yeah, i'll listen.
To adjust the second (rear) band you have to drop the pan.

herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:18 AM   #17
LouC
2007 WK 

The problem with flushes is you can easily run it low in the process. The best thing to do is a series of pan drop fluid oil changes. I use a marine oil changer to suck as much out of the pan thru the dip stick and the drop the pan with no mess.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #18
porrsher
1994 ZJ 

I would start with adjusting the kick down cable. The shifting issue you describe sounds like an adjustment issue. You will see information about doing this in the Haynes manual. If you don't have one, go get it. Best $20 beans you'll spend.

Next I would have a shop drop the pan, adjust bands and leave filter alone since you just recently replaced it.

If you can drop the pan, go for it. If it makes you weary, don't. Trannys are not cheap.

Btw, that's a very decent ZJ. Especially for $1500 buckaroos…

Sent from my Raul iPhone using JeepForum
161k Bone Stock
2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited (Love it!)
porrsher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #19
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

@porrsher, I appreciate it! but she did NOT look like that when I got her, she was sitting in a Kentucky Backwoods area with green sap and leaves covering it up bad, tires bald with wires, shocks rusted completely. She is in good hands now, I replaces the brakes(both rotors, and pads- mid grade, not cheapo stuff), Brand new tires (thank you for Walmart putting on the wrong weight ratio tires, they had to upgrade me to the only set of 4 in stock, original price I was going for $390 set of 4, at $412, I got a set of 4 that were SUPPOSED to be $138 a tire!), New shocks(mid grade as well), new valve cover gasket, new plugs, wires, distributer, radiator (+ all new hoses)... new bulbs in EVERY light (interior+exterior) and just some chrome fogs on the front, I liked how it looks with the chrome grill. So far so good, but want to get her running 100% to get her past 250k at least. everything works on her too, even A/C and Cruise!
josephsproles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:30 AM   #20
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
The problem with flushes is you can easily run it low in the process. The best thing to do is a series of pan drop fluid oil changes. I use a marine oil changer to suck as much out of the pan thru the dip stick and the drop the pan with no mess.
EXACT process I'm doing! Great minds think alike!
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #21
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by porrsher View Post
I would start with adjusting the kick down cable. The shifting issue you describe sounds like an adjustment issue. You will see information about doing this in the Haynes manual. If you don't have one, go get it. Best $20 beans you'll spend.

Next I would have a shop drop the pan, adjust bands and leave filter alone since you just recently replaced it.

If you can drop the pan, go for it. If it makes you weary, don't. Trannys are not cheap.

Btw, that's a very decent ZJ. Especially for $1500 buckaroos…

Sent from my Raul iPhone using JeepForum

I live near Louisville, Radcliff/Fort Knox area, and would like to know where a good shop would be to adjust the bands, do the pan drop/filter change, plus new ATF+4 for a decent price... also is the Kick Down cable where the pan is? or deep inside? cause that is a nogo for me, inexperienced hands + transmission = BROKEN/NOT GOOD. I learned a long time ago, if you don't know something, ask how to do it, watch it be done, then repeat the steps, never go on a whim and do something new without reading up. Which is why I have JeepForum!
Unread 02-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #22
LouC
2007 WK 

Quote:
EXACT process I'm doing! Great minds think alike!
Here you go...I have a Topsider vaccum oil changer for the boat (inboard engine, you have a dipstick tube that goes down to the bottom of the oil pan and suck it out of that tube). I have used it for a lot of automotive stuff too, if you make up some adaptors (copper tubing) you can actually suck gear oil out of diffs with it....I used it on the rear diff on my WK so you can get almost all the gear oil out before removing the cover.
8-2011-006.jpg  
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #23
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I live near Louisville, Radcliff/Fort Knox area, and would like to know where a good shop would be to adjust the bands, do the pan drop/filter change, plus new ATF+4 for a decent price... also is the Kick Down cable where the pan is? or deep inside? cause that is a nogo for me, inexperienced hands + transmission = BROKEN/NOT GOOD. I learned a long time ago, if you don't know something, ask how to do it, watch it be done, then repeat the steps, never go on a whim and do something new without reading up. Which is why I have JeepForum!
The kick down cable is on top of the engine connected to the throttle body. It's job is to tell the transmission when you are really pushing the throttle so it knows to jump down a gear and let you speed up fast. If out of adjustment the transmission will downshift when unneeded and/or shift back up when you still need the lower gear. However my issue I mainly had before adjusting was hitting the rev limiter before the tranny shifted to second gear, talk about annoying.

Here is a great video on how to do it.
Really is a two minute job. The guy in the video is kinda weird but he does good describing everything you need to know.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #24
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

@LouC and @herqulees Both are AWESOME, AS being a noob, had no idea about the drain plug of differential! and I will check my kickdown cable now!

I also siphoned out 3quarts today through my dipstick port, here is a side by side of the fluid, obvious which is the new! What I removed was TERRIBLE... and cause I was at the max, I went ahead and left out 3/4 quart of new. I will drive around a week and repeat this process for 2 more quarts, then I will wait to do it all again at next oil change, until my fluid is nice and red! What are your thoughts on this, since I just changed less than 8k the pan fluid and filter...? NO, I didnt do the trans tune, not going to either.

I also Degreased my engine bay today with PURPLE POWER! Stuff works GREAT! I had buildup behind the serpentine belt, the intake, valve cover, back wall, everywhere! but this stuff helped strip it off and clean! awesome stuff!
img_0169.jpg   img_0173.jpg   img_0171.jpg  
Unread 02-04-2013, 04:17 PM   #25
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

We never recommend doing a trans flush on high milage 42re's. Believe it or not, that dirt is holding everything together.
QuirkWorks Sponsored #44 subaru rally car
CHRYSLER CERTIFIED MASTER TECH. PM IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS.
xtremzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #26
LouC
2007 WK 

Your plan of a gradual fluid exchange should work well. I do a pan drop every 30 k
Miles or so. At the same time I change the oil in the t-case and diffs.
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #27
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

****! my TV cable just broke off, the plastic piece, anybody know a quick plastic piece replacement?? Help!
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #28
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

happens all the time. its a dealer only clip
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #29
josephsproles
1996 ZJ 

so you cannot buy the clip you have to call a dealer and order a CLIP????? what about this? http://www.ctpowertrain.com/servlet/...-TAURUS/Detail
Unread 02-04-2013, 07:54 PM   #30
xtremzj
1998 ZJ 

yup gotta order it. This is why we make the big bucks haha

Tags
high mileage , seafoam , transmission fluid , transmission slipping , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.