Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

High Idle at Start up

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  baxy 
#1 ·
I posted this in General Discussion and got bawled out, so I'm hoping someone over here can help out.

Ever since new, my 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 non-H.0. does this thing at start up where it hold a high idle (800 - 950 RPM) for almost exactly 30 seconds. At the end of 30 seconds, it is back down to normal idle speed (roughly 550 RPM). It doesn't matter how hot or cold the engine or air temp is, it does this without fail. I'm sure it's just part of the programming, but honestly it's annoying as hell. Also it seems like it's hard on the U-joints if you put it in gear prior to letting it come down to normal idle speed.

So... my question is, does anyone know of an aftermarket tuner that could program this out of the computer without screwing anything else up? Or should I just deal with it?

#2 ·
Deal with it. The force goes to the tranny fluid in the converter before getting to the driveline. The only affect would be that the TqConv reaches stall speed faster and there aren't going to be any adverse affects. Its just like you hitting the gas.

#3 ·
Have a 2001 Durango that does the same thing, we just tap the gas a little and it's back down to normal.

#4 ·
I had this problem for several months. Even the dealership told me it was fine and to deal with it. Although my RPMs were a little higher.
I replaced the TPS and it now runs perfectly.
Give it a shot. Mopar one cost me $49.00

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.