High Idle problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Idle problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
ToothAke
1995 ZJ 

High Idle problem

summary:
I recently bought my first ZJ. Got a great deal and spent a whole weekend fixing it. runs great now except for a high idle in neutral or park. It drops down to normal in drive. But in neutral it is like a 1.2k RPMs.

Already checked:
Idle control valve. Clean as a whistle. looks new. cleaned it anyway.

Throttle control valve. was clean already also. no change.

I have been looking for a vacuum leak but cannot find one. All the hoses look great and plugged into the right spots.

Main question:
I noticed that the engine runs a little cold. But not too much. Gage goes half way to middle. whatever temp that is. I figured a lower thermostat was put in. But if this is the case. could the engine be choking and trying to warm the engine up but cant because of a lower thermostat?

any help would be great!!

ToothAke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

If you still suspect a vacuum leak, take some carb cleaner and spray it around the lines. If the engine stalls, or drops in RPM, you've found the leak. Silly question, but is the IAC plugged in all the way? I neglected to push the connector on all the way (I was in a hurry) after I cleaned my IAC and it idled high in neutral and park, but drove normally.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
ToothAke
1995 ZJ 

OK I will check for vacuum leaks again in the morning. Could the IAC just not work even though it looks great? Is there a way to test it without getting a new one?
Unread 03-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #4
ToothAke
1995 ZJ 

Checked all lines for vacuum leak and found nothing. Looked more into the idle control and saw PO had soldered one wire on it. So I went to the junk yard and cut off a plug. Stripped my wires and soldered new plug on and heat shrinked them nicely. Unfortunately it changed nothing. Idle is still the same. Next thing I can think of is to replace idle control and throttle positioner to see if that makes a difference
Unread 03-05-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Try tightening all the intake manifold bolts. It's not impossible that you have a leak around the gasket. That's what caused my high idle.
AVR2 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
ToothAke
1995 ZJ 

Alright I'll give the manifold a try. Shouldn't the gasket be changed if there is a manifold leak. Just wondering if tightening would help if they are not loose
Unread 08-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
ToothAke
1995 ZJ 

I sprayed all the sensor connection on the TB with electrical cleaner and tightened the manifold. There was definitely lose bolts. I checked the valve covers too and they were all lose as well. Idles like a dream now. Thanks! Late post as well

Tags
high idle , idle , thermostat , vacuum leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.