High Idle on Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High Idle on Grand Cherokee

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 03-23-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
IdahoVandal75
1997 ZJ 

High Idle on Grand Cherokee

So I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee with the 4.0 I6. Its my first jeep ever so i'm pretty excited about it. So I'm having issues with a very high idle when i put it in park. Driving is fine except when i put it in park its shoots up to around 2000 rpm and fluctuates around that range. So myself and a buddy of mine who is an ase master tech looked all over for a vacuum leak only not to find one. So then we checked the idle air motor and found it to be pretty stiff meaning it did not move back and forth easily. So we replaced that but its still having the same problem. Could it possibly be a bad tps sensor?

IdahoVandal75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Those are the three items that cause it.one note, if you try to move the iac plunger yourself you've ruined it. Never move the plunger.

Check the throttle plate to make sure it's fully closing and clean the throttle body as well.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
mlhelfin
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my IAC from Advanced Auto. About $70. New throttle body gasket @ about $3. At the front left corner of the throttle body is a set screw for the idle control. It doesn't need much to set it to a comfortable idle. I had to remove my TBI a couple of times and make minor increment adjustments 2 or 3 times to get it where it idled where I was comfortable with it. I idle at about 700 to 800 rpm's. Mark
mlhelfin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

DO NOT ADJUST THAT SET SCREW!
It is NOT an idle adjust. It sets the throttle plate stop at the factory to account for machining variances. The idle is 100% computer controlled, you can not adjust it. Or rather you're not supposed to, you should fix the problem instead.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

It could be the TPS. Todd4198 had a bad TPS, bought a new one, and replaced it. Upon replacing it, his idle would jump to 2000 RPM in park. It sounded pretty bad changing from park to reverse or drive. He exchanged the TPS for another TPS and the issue was resolved. Apparently, he replaced his bad TPS (rough idle and crappy shifting) for a defective one (high RPMs in park). I want to say it's roughly $30 for the part. Make sure you pull the throttle body to change it. If not, you'll risk stripping the Torx that holds it into the throttle body. Ask me how I know...
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 07:17 AM   #6
cootertwo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

When I changed my IAC with one from discount auto, on start up, the idle went to around 3000, then slowly, a couple of minutes, it settled down to normal. It has to recalibrate itself or something.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:55 PM   #7
RussMan

Excuse my noviceness but what is the TPS? My Jeep is doing this as well... it sits around 2.5K or so RPMs.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
RussMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #8
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

TPS Throttle Position Sensor. It is on the throttle body on the end of the throttle shaft. It can be tested by connecting an ohm meter and moving where the throttle shaft inserts. The ohm meter should change smoothly. If it jumps up and down there is a dead spot and it needs replacing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.