High beams stuck on - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > High beams stuck on

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Reply
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Izzy
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 110
High beams stuck on

97 ZJ limited
My high beams are stuck on.
The only way I can get them to turn off is by pulling the battery cable.
When I turn the selecter knob, I can see the low beams coming on at the same time as the high beams.
The indicator on the dash won't turn off either.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Izzy

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Escondido, California, California
Posts: 60,220
There is no relay, it has to be the headlight switch itself where the high-beam contacts have gone bad and "welded" themselves together. I would just replace the headlight switch.
__________________
Getting Savvy...

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
Izzy
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 110
Thanks for the info.
Is that something I can buy generically, or do I have to go to the stealership?
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
nazerine
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 15
Figured I may as well post here as I'm having the same issue, but want to confirm a few things...

My highbeams are stuck on too, dash gauge shows headlights off, but highbeams on. All interior lights are lit up too. What's with that if its the high-beam switch???

I pulled the column cover off, and yanked the switch. No continuity between pin 4 and 5, and 4 and 6.. must be faulty switch.

Is it normal behavior when I put the ground back on the battery, for my horn to start blarring? Is there a security mech for when the column is apart?

Thanks in advance guys, hope this is just as simple as replacing the switch... just want to be sure the rest is normal behavior caused by the switch failure.

__________________
'96 ZJ Limited 5.2L
nazerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 07:49 PM   #5
baxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: cranbrook
Posts: 1,443
daytime running light module used to do that all the time on the ram trucks
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
nazerine
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
daytime running light module used to do that all the time on the ram trucks
You my friend are correct! I unplugged the module and it fixed the issue, except it seems the module controls turn signals too Key in passenger door fixed alarm issue

DRL Location:



Thanks for the tip baxy, I'm in the Interior too
__________________
'96 ZJ Limited 5.2L
nazerine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2009, 09:52 PM   #7
baxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: cranbrook
Posts: 1,443
HMM only thing you should lose when you disconnect DRL is the high beam indicator (which actually cancels the fog light in high beam, which means with DRL unplugged you can have high beam and fog lights on at the same time)
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:51 PM   #8
Izzy
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kent, WA
Posts: 110
If I replace the switch, is it the one on the steering column or the one on the dash?
Cheers,
Izzy
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 08:11 PM   #9
bad_jeep
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Banff
Posts: 4
Hello,
I am having the same problem with my Cherokee as well.
I had to unplug the cord to the module to shut them off.
I took the Jeep to a mechanic and he said a new daytime running lamp module was needed and would be 300 bucks. I thought that was ridiculous. So after paying him for his short amount of time
I found one at a junk yard for 40 bucks...installed it exactly as the directions above...
and they are still staying on all the time!!!
Any suggestions???
Feeling ripped off by the mechanic!
bad_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
baxy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: cranbrook
Posts: 1,443
maybe the used module is fubar
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #11
elmer_fud
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazerine View Post
Figured I may as well post here as I'm having the same issue, but want to confirm a few things...

My highbeams are stuck on too, dash gauge shows headlights off, but highbeams on. All interior lights are lit up too. What's with that if its the high-beam switch???

I pulled the column cover off, and yanked the switch. No continuity between pin 4 and 5, and 4 and 6.. must be faulty switch.

Is it normal behavior when I put the ground back on the battery, for my horn to start blarring? Is there a security mech for when the column is apart?

Thanks in advance guys, hope this is just as simple as replacing the switch... just want to be sure the rest is normal behavior caused by the switch failure.

the horn blaring is the security system complaining because you disconnected the battery. This is normal, just cycle the key in one of the door lock to disable it.
__________________
Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles
Colorado Jeep Club member Pi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #12
bad_jeep
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Banff
Posts: 4
How do you pull off the column cover to check the switch???
bad_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #13
elmer_fud
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: colorado
Posts: 2,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_jeep View Post
How do you pull off the column cover to check the switch???
on my jeep there are 3 screws holding it together/on. There is a flat head one in the center and 2 torx ones, one on each side. You access all three screws from the bottom of the cover.

once the cover is off, the turn signal/high beam/ washer switch is held on my 2 security torx bits if I remember right. The wiring harness has a screw in the middle attaching it to the switches.

I don't know the Torx size, but you will have to use a torx screwdriver. A bit in a handle will not reach up far enough.
__________________
Brian
95 ZJ, 5.2 V8,160,000 miles
Colorado Jeep Club member Pi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.