Hide Ignition Key in Jeep Then Use Non-chipped Key to Start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hide Ignition Key in Jeep Then Use Non-chipped Key to Start?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 02-20-2009, 10:33 AM   #1
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Hide Ignition Key in Jeep Then Use Non-chipped Key to Start?

To avoid paying $100 each for extra chipped keys, I was thinking about just having a couple non-chipped keys made at the hardware store for a few bucks, then taking the existing chipped key, cut the "key" part off it and glue the chip part under the steering column or behind the dash.

Any reason why this wouldn't work or why it would be a bad idea?

I'm not concerned about theft as the odds are very slim and the truck is insured anyway.

Thanks

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
buttz

It works just fine thats what I do
buttz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
4jeepers
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZed-J View Post
To avoid paying $100 each for extra chipped keys, I was thinking about just having a couple non-chipped keys made at the hardware store for a few bucks, then taking the existing chipped key, cut the "key" part off it and glue the chip part under the steering column or behind the dash.

Any reason why this wouldn't work or why it would be a bad idea?

I'm not concerned about theft as the odds are very slim and the truck is insured anyway.

Thanks

CZJ.
Go to eBay and buy a chipped key for eight dollars and bring to dealer! My local dealer did it for free, maybe yours will charge a few bucks! I hate leaving ignition keys in my vehicle!
4jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #4
JG_Canuck
2000 WJ 

Yeah the ebay keys are cheap. If you have 2 already you can program for the others yourself. No need to visit the stealership.
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

[QUOTE=4jeepers;6625037...I hate leaving ignition keys in my vehicle! [/QUOTE]

What I would do is cut the inserted part right off the key. That way it couldn't be used for anything other than telling the Jeep the right key is nearby.

I think I'll do this. I just didn't want to ruin the original key and later regret it.

CZJ.

-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
Unread 02-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #6
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

How close does the key have to be to the front of the Jeep to work?

My Gfs car is kind of simiar...she doesn't have a key, she has a "knob" and the remote just has to be somewhere inside the car (for me - my pocket, for her - usually her purse) and the knob turns and starts the car. If the remote isn't inside the car, the knob won't turn the ignition. It also unlocks the doors as soon as you touch the handle.

I wish I had a similar system in my Jeep, its really nice never having to fish for your keys, and the car just "knows" when your inside it.

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 12:02 PM   #7
djannello

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgjqetuo View Post
the car just "knows" when your inside it.
Wish my wife had a system like that... ha ha. My wife's 98 Bonneville had a key system like that, but it was through the key and I think it was capacitor based, it had to be in the ignition.

Last edited by djannello; 02-20-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: Corrected quote
djannello is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
adgjqetuo
2004 WJ 

Its just like the push to start systems, only you turn a knob instead of pushing a button.

The sensor is on the back of the door handles so when you touch them it automatically unlocks everything if the remote is in your pocket.

13 Subaru Outback Limited - Current
04 Jeep grand Cherokee Overland - 23k ~ 71k - Sold
98 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo SE - 73k ~ 150k - Sold
adgjqetuo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Alright, so I finally got a couple copies made with no chip in them. I tried one out and the Jeep started up then stalled. Tried again, same thing. The original key with the chip was on the same keychain dangling from the ignition.

Others have said this works, why won't mine? Any idea?

CZJ.

Unread 12-29-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
baxy

the chip needs to be right next to the skim module
remove the plastic from the colum and the plastic from the grey key and get the key glued to the skim module
then make sure you don't have any keys that are programmed near the igntion in the future, even though the two keys work the same vehicle they are actually programmed a bit differently and may conflict

note once a vehicle starts with the skim it works normally without skim until the engine is shut off
baxy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:46 AM   #11
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

My key looks really dull and when i put it in the ignition it doesnt turn i have to wiggle it and shake it to get it to turn. If I got a new key cut would that fix my problem?

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:50 AM   #12
flyboy14295
2000 WJ 

Yes but I wouldn't suggest getting the copy cut from that key. When they cut it, it will be rounded and worn too.

New York City EMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneJeeper View Post
I came into this world via broken rubber, i'm not going out the same way.
flyboy14295 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #13
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

Yea i have a brand new spare key that I got from the dealer. They can use that one I was hoping, to cut the new key. What do you think? and they can program it.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM   #14
crashcraddock
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
the chip needs to be right next to the skim module
remove the plastic from the colum and the plastic from the grey key and get the key glued to the skim module
then make sure you don't have any keys that are programmed near the igntion in the future, even though the two keys work the same vehicle they are actually programmed a bit differently and may conflict

note once a vehicle starts with the skim it works normally without skim until the engine is shut off
This is very similar to what installers do when they install a remote start, or aftermarket alarm in your car, except they have a box that the key goes into and then they wire that box to the ignition.
crashcraddock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.