Hi! Newbie here, 1996 ZJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hi! Newbie here, 1996 ZJ

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-18-2013, 03:57 AM   #1
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Hi! Newbie here, 1996 ZJ

Hi guys!

Just got a 1996 ZJ today with the 4.0 inline 6 Bought it from a Jeep family The mom's had 7 Jeeps, currently has a Wrangler. I bought the ZJ from her daughter, and the sister has a WJ.

There's absolutely no rust on the frame or underside, which is really rare here in Minnesota with the salted winter roads. I also noticed skid plates over the tank and the transfer case. 1 year old tires and 1 year old rims that look great. It has 195k miles but seems to be extremely well cared for.

The 4x4 lever has 2wd - 4part-time - 4full-time - N - 4LO. That's the SelecTrac, right? And that's the better transfer case?

Here are the issues it has:
-the front locks stick a little bit when using the remote, but I seem to understand it's easy to pull the doors off and clean/lube them
-right tail light is cracked, but that can be picked up at the junk yard
-the center console that lifts up seems to have a broken latch
-the info center says the rear hatch is open when it's not
-the rear hatch has some slight surface rust on the inside of the door on the bottom, but with some learning I should be able to clean that up
-the transfer case(?) is leaking, but it seems the bolts might work themselves lose, or else you can take part of the case out and put a new seal on? I do have a mechanic buddy that has a WJ that can help me with this
-the heat shield on the exhaust rattles, and they had it held on with a metal zip tie thing, but I'm sure I can put a new clamp on that?
-they told me that the battery dies if the car sits a long time, the battery is 2 years old so I'm not sure if the battery needs replacement, there's a drain somewhere, or this is related to the rear switch on the tailgate maybe?

Looking forward to hanging out here, definitely a Jeep newbie but wanting to learn.

nodoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
t-rev
1998 ZJ 

Most people on here just want you to read the stickey ,search button and faq`s . good luck getting anything answerd. just start reading you will find your answers. hope you find the site more help ful than I . don't get me wrong there are some good people here.
t-rev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Sweet man! Sounds like a pretty good Jeep! Post some pics up of it for us to see!

As T-rev said it might be good to try searching some you can come up with a few answers that way. I'll help with what I can though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodoze View Post
Here are the issues it has:
-the front locks stick a little bit when using the remote, but I seem to understand it's easy to pull the doors off and clean/lube them
-right tail light is cracked, but that can be picked up at the junk yard
-the center console that lifts up seems to have a broken latch
-the info center says the rear hatch is open when it's not
-the rear hatch has some slight surface rust on the inside of the door on the bottom, but with some learning I should be able to clean that up
-the transfer case(?) is leaking, but it seems the bolts might work themselves lose, or else you can take part of the case out and put a new seal on? I do have a mechanic buddy that has a WJ that can help me with this
-the heat shield on the exhaust rattles, and they had it held on with a metal zip tie thing, but I'm sure I can put a new clamp on that?
-they told me that the battery dies if the car sits a long time, the battery is 2 years old so I'm not sure if the battery needs replacement, there's a drain somewhere, or this is related to the rear switch on the tailgate maybe?
My friends got the same rust on his tailgate, so I think it's pretty common, should be easy to sand, treat and paint I'd imagine.

Where's the transfer case leaking from? I know the rear driveshaft seal isn't hard to replace, I just did it on mine.

My battery does that sometimes if I let it sit, might just be getting old.

Good luck with the Jeep!

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:51 PM   #4
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rev View Post
Most people on here just want you to read the stickey ,search button and faq`s . good luck getting anything answerd. just start reading you will find your answers. hope you find the site more help ful than I . don't get me wrong there are some good people here.
What did you try and ask for help for? If you made a thread link me to it I can try and help, though I'm far from the smartest of the jeep guys here.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Door actuator http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...or-zj-1082638/

Take a photo of it before you take it all apart. The springs will go flying.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
coralman
new wrangler prototype

1998 ZJ 

hatch battery drain
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/p...-woes-1458498/

Welcome to JF

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

What? The air conditioner drain isnt getting the passenger side carpet wet?
What hath God wrought?

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:21 PM   #8
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myusername1674 View Post
Sweet man! Sounds like a pretty good Jeep! Post some pics up of it for us to see!

As T-rev said it might be good to try searching some you can come up with a few answers that way. I'll help with what I can though!
I'll get some pics this week

Quote:
My friends got the same rust on his tailgate, so I think it's pretty common, should be easy to sand, treat and paint I'd imagine.
Seems it's a common problem, and might be why the battery drains because the BCM doesn't go into low power mode when the lift sensor switch is broken. From reading a little here it seems water gets inside, which explains the slight surface rust, and it can corrode the liftgate sensor back there.

Quote:
Where's the transfer case leaking from? I know the rear driveshaft seal isn't hard to replace, I just did it on mine.

My battery does that sometimes if I let it sit, might just be getting old.

Good luck with the Jeep!
I'm not even sure where it's leaking from yet, I did crawl under it with a flashlight and it seems to be leaking from the rear most section. Glad to hear it isn't difficult, thank you for your help!
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Thank you! And thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
What? The air conditioner drain isnt getting the passenger side carpet wet?
What hath God wrought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Door actuator http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...or-zj-1082638/

Take a photo of it before you take it all apart. The springs will go flying.
That's probably the first repair I'll attempt here, and that's great advice. Thank you very much
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:40 PM   #10
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Yep, welcome here from me .

The skid plate stuff sounds interesting .

Does it have tow hooks on the front ?

What color is it and the interior too ?

Could it be an Orvis edition ?

Did they come with a SelecTrac(242?) and an inline 6 as an option ?

Is there a trailer hitch and trans cooler on it too ?

It sounds like a nice ride just from what I know right now .

Good score, I think, nodoze .

Tell me more please .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #11
BBZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Greetz. I'm pretty new as well and generally unknowledgeable, but my jeep has had these two issues as well.

I used jb-weld to secure the heat shield on my cat, but turns out it was the cat rattling from the inside. Pretty common on these and there was even a recall (I was on the list for 6 months before i just bought my own).

Battery drain has not been annoying enough to deal with for me. As long as i run it once a week and disconnect my battery on the long sits it has been ok. However I have gone through 3 batteries in the past 7 years so YMMV.

Welcome!
BBZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
Yep, welcome here from me .

The skid plate stuff sounds interesting .

Does it have tow hooks on the front ?

What color is it and the interior too ?

Could it be an Orvis edition ?

Did they come with a SelecTrac(242?) and an inline 6 as an option ?

Is there a trailer hitch and trans cooler on it too ?

It sounds like a nice ride just from what I know right now .

Good score, I think, nodoze .

Tell me more please .
Thanks phitmein

It's the champagne(?) type color that is pretty common. The interior is black leather. The side says Laredo, I'm not sure what the Orvis is.

There's no trailer hitch, and I'm not sure about the trans cooler. There aren't any recovery/tow hooks on the front that I could see, but it does have square fog lights.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #13
nodoze
1996 ZJ 

If there's no trailer hitch, I can add one right? Even with the skid plate on the gas tank? The u-pull yard by my house sells them for $12, I might try to go find one there.

There's a little on/off switch under the dash right by the driver's knee. It looks like it was added aftermarket because there's two screws holding it in and the switch slides on and off the screws easily. There's two wires coming out of the switch. I can't figure out what it does, it looks like a fog light switch but the fog lights are controlled from the dash. Anyone know if that's a normal switch, or how to figure out what it does?

EDIT: A little digging under the dash shows that the two wires go to a black box that says AstroStart, and appears to be a remote car starter. Going to ask the previous owner if they have the remote

Last edited by nodoze; 08-19-2013 at 11:18 PM..
Unread 08-20-2013, 02:05 AM   #14
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks phitmein
You are most welcome, but I said that already didn't I ?

Phitmein is Fit me in and not fit man as most tend to think .

By all means hit up the JY for a hitch if you want one and look out for front tow/recovery hooks while you are at it .
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:35 AM   #15
txbass06
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
If there's no trailer hitch, I can add one right? Even with the skid plate on the gas tank?
Sure can. Mine has the UpCountry package with the skid plates and a factory tow hitch. I'd look the hitch over really well if you get it from a jy. I've seen a bunch around here that look like they've been through hell and back lol
txbass06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.