Hi/Lo shifting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hi/Lo shifting

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsNew jk doors from steinjager

Unread 11-20-2002, 12:37 PM   #1
Beachead19

Hi/Lo shifting

Is it normal for the Jeep (98 ZJ 4.0 AWD) to grind momentarily as I shift from Neutral to 4wheel Hi or Lo? I have the transmission in neutral also. (Following owner's manual still gets a grind feel/noise)

Kolak Ignition
-----------------------------------------
Beachead19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 07:07 PM   #2
Camster

i'm guessing you mean the quadra-trac full time 4wd system. that is different from an AWD system. no jeep comes with AWD. what you have to do is get up a little momentum (5 mph) they put it into neutral and yank up on the shifter lever. put it back in drive BEFORE you stop rolling and it should shift in properly. just ask if you need any more help.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 08:50 PM   #3
Beachead19

Its the transfer case that grinds when I move from neutral to 4Hi or 4Lo. The transmission has no grinding at all. I am moving about 5mph while shifting and have checked each Diff. fluid level.
Kolak Ignition
-----------------------------------------
Beachead19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2002, 11:41 PM   #4
BEATERCJ
1981 CJ5 

like the fellow said get up to 5 mph and shift the tranny into neutral , then in one motion pull the t case into what ever gear you want, DO NOT pause in neutral.......

2002 grand, 1995 yj, 81cj5, 53m38,looking for a willys truck, 2003 rubicon edition on the way yee haa 03 rubi died a moose wanted a closer look... bought a 08jk two door. Ox front locker soon to be detriot rear...
BEATERCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2002, 05:14 AM   #5
Camster

well you're doing what you're supposed to. if you're still under warrantee i'd take it to the dealer to have it checked out.

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2002, 01:46 AM   #6
Ryan2son

Quadra Trac II addition...

On mine I put it in park then shift. No problems here...

Richard

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
4x4, 4.7 V8, Quadratrac II, Loaded

A Hail the Mighty Philadelphia Eagles!
Ryan2son is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.