Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hi/Lo shifting

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Ryan2son 
#1 ·
Is it normal for the Jeep (98 ZJ 4.0 AWD) to grind momentarily as I shift from Neutral to 4wheel Hi or Lo? I have the transmission in neutral also. (Following owner's manual still gets a grind feel/noise)

#2 ·
i'm guessing you mean the quadra-trac full time 4wd system. that is different from an AWD system. no jeep comes with AWD. what you have to do is get up a little momentum (5 mph) they put it into neutral and yank up on the shifter lever. put it back in drive BEFORE you stop rolling and it should shift in properly. just ask if you need any more help.

#3 ·
Its the transfer case that grinds when I move from neutral to 4Hi or 4Lo. The transmission has no grinding at all. I am moving about 5mph while shifting and have checked each Diff. fluid level.

#4 ·
like the fellow said get up to 5 mph and shift the tranny into neutral , then in one motion pull the t case into what ever gear you want, DO NOT pause in neutral.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.