Hi all, just got this Grand Cherokee limited - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hi all, just got this Grand Cherokee limited

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #16
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Thanks Shane7, ya as soon as I saw her I knew she was a keepee. I paid $1600.00 for her and I didn't even haggle with the seller I knew he wasn't going to budge. What color is your '98?

dennyps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #17
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zj97ltd View Post
The black looks sweet.
Thank You!
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:00 PM   #18
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyps View Post
Thanks Joe, ya as soon as I started up I knew she was solid and had lots of life left in her. That's even knowing she needed a cap, rotor & plugs all of which I have already done. In addition to changing the oil, complete flush of the tranny and rear end, also flushed the radiator and had the injectors professionally cleaned. So u have 26th on yours wow that's great and a testament to good maintenance I am sure on your part. How is your paint holding up?
The clear coat on my hood and left fender has started to peel, as of last year. They had been touched up when the ZJ was about a year old, due to stone chips in the leading edge of the hood, so that may explain why the hood and fender are the only affected parts. Half of its life, the ZJ was garaged when home, but the past 10 years she has been strictly outdoors, at least until my shop is built. The interior is still in great shape though.

When it comes to the drivetrain, I am a bit of a fanatic.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM   #19
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick05 View Post
there are a few threads floating around about "who has the most mileage on their 4.0", they can get up there. one guy with an xj(cherokee) had 750,000 on original engine/tranny without any rebuild and only basic maintenance. makes mine still feel young. my 87 mj has 215, my old xj has 218 and my wife's zj has 166(its still young though.
Wow now that one I would like to see 750k... but eve your "87" at 215k now that's impressive and your wifes is no slouch either at 166k.
Thanks Nick
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:05 PM   #20
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead31 View Post
Welcome to the forum! I'm loving that all black, it's very becoming
If you treat her right, she could take you another 100k miles pretty easy. Pamper her along and treat her like the attention loving queen she'll probably be one day, who knows how far it'll go. I'm constantly hearing of people at 300,000+ miles on all original powertrain.
There's a lot of very valuable resources on here and sooo much info you can learn. Welcome to the community and I'll be seeing ya around!
Thanks Gearhead, I intend to catch up and stay up on her maintenance and add a few touches of my own.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit77 View Post
Pamper? It's a zj. Maintenance and fixing issues before they worsen is the way to go.
Yep great idea, in fact last night I was checking out the link to the "12 steps" of things to do if she either won't start or won't run right and I found a few that I am going to do in advance. Particularly the checking/cleaning all the major grounds in her and at the main brain as well, cleaning the plugs throughly and then adding dialelectric grease, to insure they stay nice and tight and clean.
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #22
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopez View Post
Headlight switch issue? There's a thread that tells you how to resolder the joints and it fixes the issue. I did mine and it works flawlessly.

Welcome to the forum! I'm a regular here.
Now that is a great money saving idea, I had already found a new switch on the internet (without the security light I might add) and was preparing to buy it and install it. I will definately check this one out and give it a try before I buy a new switch. Thanks big time, Scopez!
Unread 01-14-2014, 05:41 PM   #23
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
The clear coat on my hood and left fender has started to peel, as of last year. They had been touched up when the ZJ was about a year old, due to stone chips in the leading edge of the hood, so that may explain why the hood and fender are the only affected parts. Half of its life, the ZJ was garaged when home, but the past 10 years she has been strictly outdoors, at least until my shop is built. The interior is still in great shape though.

When it comes to the drivetrain, I am a bit of a fanatic.

-Joe
Yep I hear ya on the assorted chips and a bit of peeling, alas mine suffers from a bit of peeling of the clear coat on the passenger side roof and the hood has seen some sand storms and thus has a few little rock chips and such. I am good at touchup's and so when the weather gets a bit warmer here in the Great NW, I will pay some attention to the paint and fix her up a bit. On the "drive train" I hear ya, that's what it's all about and what gets ya from point A to B, in addition to changing all the fluids in mine I also added my old friend (been used on every power train I have ever had in every car with great luck) Prolong and it rocks.
Unread 01-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #24
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Yep I hear ya on the assorted chips and a bit of peeling, alas mine suffers from a bit of peeling of the clear coat on the passenger side roof and the hood has seen some sand storms and thus has a few little rock chips and such. I am good at touchup's and so when the weather gets a bit warmer here in the Great NW, I will pay some attention to the paint and fix her up a bit. On the "drive train" I hear ya, that's what it's all about and what gets ya from point A to B, in addition to changing all the fluids in mine I also added my old friend (been used on every power train I have ever had in every car with great luck) Prolong and it rocks.
I have a friend with a body shop. When spring gets here and I am back to riding the motorcycle to my 2nd job, I am going to take the ZJ in to him to repair the clear coat and the right side damage, unless I find some good red door shells for the right side.

I am close to having my shop done, so I will be able to park her indoors once again.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #25
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Welcome to the forum Denny and you're in the right one! Good luck with your 98 Limited and what size engine?

If you want to find out exactly what it came with from the factory fill out the below Jeep form with your VIN/mileage and they'll email you back a build sheet in a couple days. Once you have it plug the info into your profile and you can plug "1998 ZJ" in there too. Helps us to help you!

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...ull&category=U
That was a cool idea and they got back to me really fast, got most of it plugged in. Of all the vehicles I have owned (except for my Honda VLX 600 shadow) I now know more about this Jeep than any of them. Thanks for the input and idea
Unread 01-14-2014, 10:09 PM   #26
dennyps
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purcell69 View Post
I have a friend with a body shop. When spring gets here and I am back to riding the motorcycle to my 2nd job, I am going to take the ZJ in to him to repair the clear coat and the right side damage, unless I find some good red door shells for the right side.

I am close to having my shop done, so I will be able to park her indoors once again.

-Joe
Awe to have a shop, I envy you there, I am stuck in a condo (a nice name for an old apartment, LOL).
Unread 01-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #27
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
That was a cool idea and they got back to me really fast, got most of it plugged in. Of all the vehicles I have owned (except for my Honda VLX 600 shadow) I now know more about this Jeep than any of them. Thanks for the input and idea
YW and real nice looking ZJ! Good deal you now have that info plugged into your profile. That's a 35c rear axle and with 3.73 gearing you most likely have the tow package. It typically includes a higher amp alternator, a trans oil cooler in front of the AC condenser which is in front of the radiator behind the grill, and possibly a HD power steering unit.

The trailer hitch itself and fuel tank skid did not come on my 96 but might be on your Limited. Had an aftermarket hitch installed on mine and nice the wiring connectors were already there. They're behind the plastic access plate below/behind the spare tire above the left rear wheel well.

Good deal in reading ZeeJay's dirty dozen and preventative maintenance is the route to go!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.