Hi all I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hi all I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 07-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #1
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

Hi all I'm new to this forum and have a couple questions

First off i'd like to say there is a wealth of knowledge in this forum, I'm starting off with the free membership if things go well I'll buy in. ( I do have dyslexia a little so i do spell things wrong or backwards at times so I'm sorry in advance, I try to use spell check as much as possible). Anyways I have recently got into the 4x4 game i traded my 96 Subaru for a 94 jeep grand Cherokee I think I've read its a ZJ? So my questions are #1 The lingo or short hand can someone either give me a link to decipher it like whats IRO or Dw? Things like that. #2 What is Death wobble? I have seen this a lot on posts. What are the symptoms? Is there an onset like a precursor that can clue a person in that it's going to happen soon? #3 I have seen a lot about sloppy steering Some say adjust a screw or nut others say replace it all (Meaning tie rods, drag link, pit-man arm, etc..) I know it depends on what is wrong but i'm A little Confused isn't a little play ok? Its not a Ferrari Its a 4x4 seems logical to have a little play. What would be Normal then I've always drove cars until now. This post makes me look dumb but i'm actually a pretty good mechanic I just have never messed with a 4x4 until now so I'm kinda lost on the suspension I'm used to my Toyota's Subaru etc.. most have rack and pinion. Well I guess thats it for now i'm just being curious about my new to me jeep and look forward to seeing y'all out there playing

mercuryfreak200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

1) Try here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/l...ronyms-106600/

2) Death wobble is something you really have to experience to understand. It starts as little vibrations in the front end and then gets really bad.

3) A little play is normal, but it can be improved by rebuilding things and changing the steering linkage geometry.

Welcome to the forum!

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

Oh man! That link is just what I wanted Thank you! I'm familiar with some but this is just wow I searched for an hour for this. Thanks for the welcome too.
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:26 AM   #4
iann32
1995 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum! Looks like kg6mov has you covered with everything lol. But when you get death wabble youll know lol
iann32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum! If you want to find out exactly what came on your 94 from the factory fill out the below Jeep form and enter "Request for build sheet" in the first larger box. You'll also need to enter in part of your VIN and mileage while they'll email you the results in just a couple days. Once you receive this info plug it into your profile and it will help us to help you.

http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/j...ull&category=U

As far as loose steering it's best to have somebody turn the steering wheel back/forth while another is under it looking for sloppy/worn parts like the tie rod ends, drag link end, connection to pitman arm, steering stabilizer, anything with a rubber boot and/or grease fitting, etc.. Try this with tires off the ground and slightly on the ground.

To check for worn upper/lower ball joints in the steering knuckle jack the tire off the ground 3"-4", stick a long 2x4 under it from the front, and have somebody lift the tire up down while somebody watches for up/down play in the upper/lower ball joints.

Your track bar should also be tight with no slop in it if you hope to avoid the DW.

The forum search box at the top left is a good tool to use and look at the FAQ for some answers. It's best to do an advanced search, so you can click on the ZJ technical forum, save it, so you won't be looking at all the other forums info which is confusing. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

I actually have the original build sheet! A long with service records from new to present day. Its been well maintained, I think even the origanal window sticker is in the folder lol. The previous qwner replaced all of the front end parts last year I have the recipts lol. I took it to my transmission buddy who has a comercial shop and he double checked it, its all been replaced even the shocks.
Unread 07-23-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Good deal and it's always nice to buy a ZJ from somebody who cared enough to maintain it well!

Unread 07-23-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

Yes i love having maintenance records. But today it died and ran like it was missing, it threw a code 21 im gonna go to Chrysler and get a 02 sensor and change considering i get a discount through my job at the parts store. My wife and i are considering a lift for it any suggestions? We don't have a lot to spend but we want to make it a weekend warrior. I was thinking a 2 inch suspension lift, we plan on going camping and fishing in Colorado, Wyoming (where the jeep was originally purchased), and south Dakota. We are hoping that a 2 inch will get us in and out with out messing with the steering geometry. What do you guys suggest for a good start and keep costs down.
Unread 07-23-2014, 11:17 PM   #9
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

For a dual purpose vehicle the OME springs are the way to go for 2.5" of lift. At that height you won't have too much trouble with steering geometry.

PM kolak, he can get you a good deal on the OME springs and a set of Bilstein shocks that will make it ride great. Throw some 31's on it and you're good to go.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 07-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #10
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

Cool I'll pm when i get off work tomorrow thanks.
Unread 07-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Only go with a NTK o2 sensor, not Bosch, and if you go to the dealer for a Mopar 56028301 (95 ZJ 318/5.2) you're going to pay a lot more maybe even with your discount. Even if it says Mopar on the box it's going to have NTK stamped on the sensor itself which is OE. The NTK 23023 sensor for your 5.2 is $27.89 + shipping at Rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...138&cc=1182114

Amazon also sells the NTK 23023 for $33 and I'm showing free shipping but have a prime account.

http://www.amazon.com/NGK-23023-Oxyg...ords=NTK+23023

Kolak also sells the NTK sensors and compare pricing for the best deal. Good luck.

Unread 07-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #12
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

Yeah i was just looking at that on rock auto im going to go with that. Thanks for the heads up. I figure that will hopefully take care of the sluggish accelerating and pinging i have fingers crossed.
Unread 07-24-2014, 09:03 PM   #13
merc07
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercuryfreak200 View Post
Yeah i was just looking at that on rock auto im going to go with that. Thanks for the heads up. I figure that will hopefully take care of the sluggish accelerating and pinging i have fingers crossed.
the sluggishness and pinging you are experiencing could be a bad intake plenum gasket, the way to find out is take a peek down your throttle body with a flashlight and if you see oil pooled up in the bottom then your gasket is toast. a bad plenum gasket can foul spark plugs, 02 sensors, and eventually plug up the cat. it can also burn/use oil between oil changes. by the way welcome to the forum!
Unread 07-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #14
mercuryfreak200
1994 ZJ 

Ok i will check that tomorrow. Come to think of it the previous owner said it uses about a 1/2 - 1 quart between changes and i did smell oil burning a couple times on start up. I thought maybe it was the pcv so i changed it that did solve the valve covers leaking though. Is this plenum hard to get off doesn't look to difficult compared to some i have done any pointers?
Unread Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #15
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Plenum gasket repair here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/k...l#post19732865

Replacing the plenum plate with an aluminum one: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/n...l#post23796778

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.