HHR Fan swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HHR Fan swap

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #16
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 970001zj View Post
but since there are few left to pick from the hhr could be the next new thing

seems like a good idea if it works
The other thing to consider is that for a couple years the HHR came with a 2.0 Turbo engine option, available only with an automatic. I would imagine that cooling fan would probably push more air then the fan used on the 2.4.

Might be something to look into, I still happy with my clutch fan and don't have any issues with over heating, even in the summers here (100*+), but my A/C was inop this past summer.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
Josef86
1996 ZJ 

I've looked into it and all HHRs seem to use the same Efan. It's worth the $60 to try since there are so many mopar big blocks successfully running them even for track duty. Even some guys at ls1tech using them.

Just hit up Amazon or rock auto and search for HHR fan. $60 shipped for a TYC or Dorman replacement assembly. I've had better luck with Dorman stuff over the years. And the amp draw is a bonus since even with the 120amp alternator I still have issues keeping it above 13amps running.

So far I plan on slicing some 5/16" vacuum line to make molding for the fan shroud to press against the radiator. Then make some simple brackets like I did for the Taurus fan.
Josef86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Keep us posted. I imagine if it can keep up with cooling your ZJ in Houston, I can probably use it successfully here in SLC as well.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
Josef86
1996 ZJ 

I couldn't be happier. This fan moves lots of air, I believe better than the Taurus fan on high because this shroud fits the radiator so well.

Here's what I did.
1. Trim off the four nubs and these six little nubs off the face that will be against the radiator.
2. Slice 1/4" fuel line length wise. This required 4 feet of line . Install on the top and bottom of the fan shroud(only place the shroud will be making contact with the radiator).
3. Drilled holes where they make sense. Or mount it however.
4. Wired up to my pre-existing switched relay. You can pull off the factory GM plug, exposing male spade terminals.

This fans pretty awesome. I see no voltage drop or dimming of lights when switching on or off. Be sure you install it in the proper orientation as there seems to be an area of the lower motor that is open for whatever moisture/water expulsion possibly. That it I just like the idea. Who knows.

Excited to get the AC working and put t to the real test in humid and hot Houston.
image-1357278592.jpg

image-3062481010.jpg

image-1948711370.jpg

Unread 09-25-2013, 11:33 PM   #20
970001zj
1997 ZJ 

wow thats a pretty good fit
970001zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #21
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Nice clean install.

How exactly does it attach?
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #22
Josef86
1996 ZJ 

I used the standard cooling fan mounting kit. 4 plastic rods with foam on mounting surface, going through radiator fins, then through the holes on the fan shroud i drilled. The weight of the fan is resting on the bottom tabs of radiator. This keeps weight off the radiator fins/rows. just some pulling force to keep the fan upright. I would only do this if you use some hose on the fan shroud.

edit: I get to tow a S10 Blazer tonight on a car dolly. Only about 25 miles, but that will work the cooling system. I believe its 92 today. And then tomorrow we get to drop a tank full of gas to replace a fuel pump. I get to mostly instruct my brother in law. "no lifting over 10lbs for six weeks after surgery" per my DR.
hayden-mtg-kit.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.