Hey whats up new here....help needed! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hey whats up new here....help needed!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
ACE_19
1998 ZJ 

Hey whats up new here....help needed!

Whats up fellow jeepers! im new on here...anywho i need some help with my jeep any help is much appreciated!!! so here we go...I have a 1998 grand cherokee 5.9L limited got it right after my 1993 grand wagonner got totaled anyway back to the niner i got it and noticed it was shifting late so dropped the pan changed filter n atf worked fine was happy but then a few months later my tranny gave out since then i dropped the tranny got it rebuilt everything got done to it exept for electrical ( solenoids, govenor sensor, tcc, valve body) put the tranny back on this past summer AUG 3 i was all happy and excited to driver her around again so it was fine no issues at all so i tought but sure enough about 2-3 weeks later about idk ill roughly say about 200 miles on the rebuilt tranny it gave out on me again just out of the nowere drove it for about 10min got her towed checked my fluid it was fine nice n red did not smell burned next checked the bands for adjustment but were fine....truck drives good up until it warms up then it wount shift or move only reverse works at that point so im out of my mind trying to figure out what be the problem so since then ive had her in the garage wich sucks

ACE_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

No codes? I would return it to the tranny shop. Also the gov pressure solenoid and sensor will cause a no shift issue and or missing gears if they are bad. Mine did not throw a code for about a month and I thought my trans was taking a dump. Replaced them and not had a problem since. There are Borg Warner gov pressure sensors and solenoids that the dodge guys are using on their 5.9's with the 46RE. It's supposed to have a larger capacity and able to handle higher line pressure/ more fluid. I got the Mopar units since I hadn't heard about the BW.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-19-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
KJK
1998 ZJ 

For the governor pressure sensor and solonoid here is a link to the best price I've found on the net:

Sensor and Solonoid

The improved (better than OEM) Borg-Warner governor solonoid is only $58.
The pressure sensor is $60 (make sure you order the right one).

More info. on the improved Borg-Warner solonoid

I'm running these and they work great.

They definitely should have replaced these when they did the transmission. They are easy to do. Just drop the pan.
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
ACE_19
1998 ZJ 

@PolkaPower nope no codes the only thing i did notice was my abs light goin off for a day or two and then would turn off...i got my tranny rebuilt by a buddy over at mercedes benz he took it all apart rebuilt it for free so cant complain really...but yeah im really hoppeing its just a solenoid n sensor thats the only thing that comes to mind knowing that evrything got replaced n is brand new...also my buddy had said the valve body was really dirty and clogged up when we took it apart so im replacing it since i got a good deal on one will see how it goes...thanks for the info n help man really appreciate it!
Unread 02-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
ACE_19
1998 ZJ 

@KJK NICE! THANKS for the link and info! like i mentiond i got a good deal on a valve body comes with all solenids n sensors so if it works good i got it made if not then i guess ill be ordering the solenoids n sensors from the link you provided!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.