Hey I'm new and I have a few issues... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Hey I'm new and I have a few issues...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-07-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
JeepinNH96

Hey I'm new and I have a few issues...

Hi. I'm hoping that someone can help me here. I just bought a 96 ZJ a couple of months ago, and I'm having a few problems. I noticed a few posts about a hopping or lurching on U-Turns etc in 2WD... the responses seemed to mention Quadra-trac and viscous couplers. Well, my ZJ is selec-trac so in that case, what could it be? Maybe this is due to the same problem, but the other day I noticed when I'm turning at slow speeds, I can feel vibrations through my steering wheel. This happens on moderate turns, not sharp turns like the lurching problem.

Also, I'm having the infamous clunking noise under the floor in the front... From what I read here, I'm thinking that has something to do with the sway bar.

Something is loose and rattling toward the back end also. It's more of a rattle, as compared to the front end clunk. I don't think the rattle is anything major, sounds like something could be loose, but who knows?

Does anyone know how much it could cost to fix these problems? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on taking my Jeep to the mechanic very soon, but I just wanted to post and find out a little information so I know what to expect, or so I can tell my mechanic what is going on.

Thanks,
Kate

JeepinNH96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-07-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
djorkboy
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, I got a clunking noise from the front end when doing low speed turns. Like an ostrich I just ignore it in the hope it will go away (stupid I know) cause in my experience 'if it clunks it costs!!'
djorkboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
ou2mame

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinNH96
Hi. I'm hoping that someone can help me here. I just bought a 96 ZJ a couple of months ago, and I'm having a few problems. I noticed a few posts about a hopping or lurching on U-Turns etc in 2WD... the responses seemed to mention Quadra-trac and viscous couplers. Well, my ZJ is selec-trac so in that case, what could it be? Maybe this is due to the same problem, but the other day I noticed when I'm turning at slow speeds, I can feel vibrations through my steering wheel. This happens on moderate turns, not sharp turns like the lurching problem.

Also, I'm having the infamous clunking noise under the floor in the front... From what I read here, I'm thinking that has something to do with the sway bar.

Something is loose and rattling toward the back end also. It's more of a rattle, as compared to the front end clunk. I don't think the rattle is anything major, sounds like something could be loose, but who knows?

Does anyone know how much it could cost to fix these problems? Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm planning on taking my Jeep to the mechanic very soon, but I just wanted to post and find out a little information so I know what to expect, or so I can tell my mechanic what is going on.

Thanks,
Kate
I have a 97, and have that clunking coming from the rear. It only happens every once a while, but once it starts, its on and off for the rest of the time I'm driving. It does sound expensive, thus I haven't gone to the mechanic yet. It happens more times in 2wd than awd. I have selelctrac too.
ou2mame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
JeepinNH96

Quote:
Originally Posted by ou2mame
I have a 97, and have that clunking coming from the rear. It only happens every once a while, but once it starts, its on and off for the rest of the time I'm driving. It does sound expensive, thus I haven't gone to the mechanic yet. It happens more times in 2wd than awd. I have selelctrac too.
Yeah, the clunk does sound expensive. For awhile it made me wince every time I heard it, but now I'm kinda getting used to it. I'm bringing it to the mechanic on Tuesday. Hopefully it won't cost too much. I'll let you know what the problem ends up being.

Kate
JeepinNH96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2004, 12:39 AM   #5
Interloper

the shimmy in the steering wheel while turning in 2wd could be universal joints or CV's going bad, depending on which you have. I had both shafts pulled and new u-joints pressed in a few years ago, makes a world of difference.

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.