??? Hesitation ???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ??? Hesitation ????

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
matts98ZJ

??? Hesitation ????

When i pull off sometimes it seems like its going to die it spudders and back fires just a small amount then it goes like nothen is wrong. dont do it all the time...
Any Ideas would be a big help

matts98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #2
Varkyl
No where near stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts98ZJ
When i pull off sometimes it seems like its going to die it spudders and back fires just a small amount then it goes like nothen is wrong. dont do it all the time...
Any Ideas would be a big help
I am having the same problem. It doesn't do it all the time but usually does it after it has been driven then parked for about 10 to 15 minutes and then driven again. And it only does it on the first acceleration and after it does the little sputter and pop it runs perfect.

One of these days I will look into it a little further and should have more info then.

new sig coming soon
Varkyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:19 PM   #3
laxwarriors21

Same thing happens to mine every once in a blue moon! So if yall figure out what it is, then let me know.
--Trail ready bumpers
--Conferr roof rack
--Two Hella Model 500 driving lights
laxwarriors21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
97zjjeeper
1997 ZJ 

ya my jeep does that to start off then BLAAAAAAAAA nothing pop then off she goes

BLACK 97 ZJ 4.0L-42re-242-DANA 30/35 (3.73)
MODS) 2in lift-30x9.5x15 BFG A/T-15x8 Pacer Wheels-K&N Intake-1in TB Spacer-40Series Flowmaster-Hi-Flow Cat-JKS Trackbar-Sliderz-BDS adj CA-BDS SS-Cobra19 ULTRA III-FireStick4FT-PA Horn-Hella500 DL-Roof Rack-TC Skid-Gastank Skid
97zjjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 03:15 PM   #5
ajmorell

I have the same thing sometimes. Every now and then I will throw a code. I don't know what number it was but I had it ran to see what it said and it came up that my downstream O2 was having some goofy voltage deal, like it would alternate high then low. Basically what the mechanic told me is sometimes what would happen is it would get this bad voltage reading and tell the ECU that the engine was too lean so it would give it more fuel and it would then actually be running rich causing the hesitation. I believe he said this problem was caused by my crappy catalytic converter messing up my downstream O2 sensor or the wiring was corroded on the sensor, I can't remember which.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #6
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Thatís exactly how the O2 sensor works Ö it oscillates between 0.1 to 0.9 volts, in a sine-wave manor. Anything below 0.45 is lean (too much oxygen) and anything > 0.45 is rich. The upstream O2 sensor is used by the PCM to fine tune the air-to-fuel ratio. The downstream one only tells you when the Cat is spent.

I would concentrate in other areas for sluggish acceleration.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2006, 04:38 PM   #7
matts98ZJ

I have no idea. cleaned intake system from manifold to injectors. Only does it like someone say about driving then park for 15 min or so like if you going in to a store then leaving when you pull out it does it. the it runs great after that....
matts98ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #8
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

My mechanic told me that problem was caused by my cracked exhaust manifold. It went away when he welded it, but seems to have reared its ugly head again.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2006, 10:28 AM   #9
doyll

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts98ZJ
I have no idea. cleaned intake system from manifold to injectors. Only does it like someone say about driving then park for 15 min or so like if you going in to a store then leaving when you pull out it does it. the it runs great after that....
Could possibly be caused by a hot engine compartment vaporizing the fuel in the lines & rail when parked. (engine off, no fuel moving in lines & injector rail) After starting it will run okay on vapor/liquid mix until you hit the throttle, then it's squirting too much vapor and not enough liquid through injector (engine stumbles gasping for fuel) until liquid fuel replaces vapor in rail and injectors are quirting liquid. Then engine runs like nothing is wrong again. Until you park it and hot engine compartment does it again.

Easy way to test this would be to open your hood when you park and see what it does when you start and drive off in 10-15 minutes vs. hood closed under same conditions.

NEED: adjustable upper front control arms, front track bar frame bracket for JKS/RE bar, adjustable rear track bar, Addco rear sway bar, winch
doyll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:17 AM   #10
Invisible

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I have the same thing sometimes. Every now and then I will throw a code. I don't know what number it was but I had it ran to see what it said and it came up that my downstream O2 was having some goofy voltage deal, like it would alternate high then low. Basically what the mechanic told me is sometimes what would happen is it would get this bad voltage reading and tell the ECU that the engine was too lean so it would give it more fuel and it would then actually be running rich causing the hesitation. I believe he said this problem was caused by my crappy catalytic converter messing up my downstream O2 sensor or the wiring was corroded on the sensor, I can't remember which.
That is interesting. I have the same problem, and was constantly throwing a "too lean" code. But the funny thing is, it seems to have gotten worse sense I put a new Cat on mine!

Anyone else have any information?

Last edited by Invisible; 06-13-2006 at 12:29 PM..
Invisible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:34 AM   #11
ajmorell

Did you try replacing the upstream O2? That would be my next area to check out.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2006, 11:43 AM   #12
reneveah
2003 WJ 

this may be the cause, read http://www.wjjeeps.com/tsb_list.htm#1803103
Unread 06-13-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
Invisible

Quote:
Did you try replacing the upstream O2? That would be my next area to check out.
I did replace that. About a year and a half ago I think.

Cat, muffler, starter were in the last 3 weeks.
Unread 06-18-2006, 03:46 PM   #14
Invisible

I think I may have found the problem. My Dad was searching Technical Service Bulletins on our library's website and found:

TSB number 18-02-98
Subject: Long Crank Times/Sags/Hesitation or Slow run Up
Date: 2/6/1998

It's for 96 ZJ's, but it may help everyone. (with the 4.0 anyway)

Condition: Long Crank times/sags (etc) after a cold drive-away start. This condition is caused by an ignition switch triggered reset of the Power Train Control Module (PCM) which caused adapitive memory loss in the PCM.

Diagnosis: Using the Mopar Diagnostic system (MDS) or the Diagnostic Scan Tool (DRB III) with the approriate manual, verify all engine/transmission systems are functioning as designed. If Diagnostic Trouble Codes are present, record them on the repair order....

Anyway it gives the repair procedure, but I guess you'll have to go to a Jeep dealership to get it done. So good luck to everyone, and I'll be calling the dealership tommorw.
Unread 06-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #15
Invisible

Had the prodedure done today. So far so good. I will let you know if it comes back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.