hesitation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > hesitation

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
harv51
1998 ZJ 

hesitation

new to the forum and already have question. 98 cherokee has bad hesitation when starting off. im thinking fuel pump any suggestions?

harv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Kind of vague. Is it sputtering/slipping/stalling/backfiring/misfiring? Is the idle smooth?

When is the last time you did an ignition tune-up?

Check fuel pressure at the rail?

Battery terminals clean and tight? All grounds clean and tight?

Ever clean off the IAC?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
harv51
1998 ZJ 

sorry about being so vague. i just bbought it. havent had time to do much to it . it acts like it is starving for fuel.thnx for the reply.
Unread 06-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
dellis
1998 ZJ 

If it is the fuel pump, I would surmise that you would experience problems at times other than just starting out. But, to be sure, can you put a fuel gauge on the rail and give us the readings/behavior when you start up both at idle and as the engine gets revved?
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #5
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I'd check fuel pressure at the rail, but I bet the old engine is just dirty and/or carboned up.

Pour 1/2 can of Seafoam in your fuel tank for starters. If that doesnt work after about 100 miles, then change the spark plugs, wires, rotor cap, distr. cap and then clean your throttle body. Do NOT let the coil wire cross any of the the plug wires as it exits the distr. cap when you swap wires. Go ahead and swap the air filter element and check for vacuum leaks too.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
pitch123
1998 ZJ 

my ZJ started slow. it needed more cruck than usual. two weeks ago, it can not start after I finished shopping. It turned out a bad starter. It starts quickly with the new starter.
pitch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
harv51
1998 ZJ 

well pulled the tank off replaced fuel pump runs like a top. thnx for suggestions

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.