Here are some plans ZJ Winch Bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Here are some plans ZJ Winch Bumper

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 01-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
zachreynolds

Here are some plans ZJ Winch Bumper

Here is a link to some plans that I found on Google Sketch up. ZJ - Jeep Grand Cherokee (93-98) Front Winch Bumper Plans by brad s - Google 3D Warehouse I used Google Sketch up pro, and exported them to an autocad file. Took them over to a local fab shop and they can water jet them for me for $100. Depending on prices in your area for steel and for the cutting service and your welding skills it could be an inexpensive DIY Bumper. I think I am going to grab a sheet of 3/16" plate and have them cut out. I will post with pics and updates should I pursue it, if any one else tries please do the same! These ARE NOT my plans, but he lists them as free to use.

-Zach

zachreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

Sweet find! Do you have to buy sketchup or is there a free download avalible somewhere?
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
zachreynolds

Free download, and there is an 8-hour free trial of sketchup pro. So you can export the drawing to an autocad drawing (or whatever your local plasma/water cutter needs it to be in.) The standard free sketchup doesn't have the ability to export. Here is the link: Google SketchUp Just click on "downloads".

-Zach
Unread 01-18-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
gamudslinger88
1998 ZJ 

My uncle ownes a fab shop and he has a plasma table and breaks and all. I will get him to burn it out for me. Been wanting to build one anyways so this works out great. Thanks man!
gamudslinger88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:44 PM   #5
92rslt1
2002 WJ 

Nice, How did you export to cad?
Unread 01-18-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

that bumper loks great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
1993ZJ
1993 ZJ 

looks like the protofab/Kevins Off Road front winch bumper
1993ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #8
McCRam

Thanks for posting. That is exactly what I had in mind for my Zj.
McCRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 05:45 AM   #9
zachreynolds

Quote:
92rslt1 Nice, How did you export to cad?
You simply download the 8 hour trial of Google SketchUp Pro 7. Go "File", "Export". Export it to a 3d DWG File and you're good to go. There are several other popular formats available as well. I installed the pro trial on a second computer and only use it for exporting/importing. Then I use Sketchup Free for all of the modifications and drawings.

-Zach
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

This is GREAT, I'm heading out to the shop right now to see if our burn table is free
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #11
coonash

1969 FSJ Wagoneer 

If anyone converts this to Autocad please let me know. I'm going to have the shop next door to us cut it on the water jet table.
This is an online forum, and the written word is the primary method of communication. If you make an effort to communicate clearly, people will be willing to communicate in return. If you don't make an effort, I don't see why I should - write like an idiot, and I'm going to think you're an idiot, that's just how things work.
USN Jeep Club Number 41
coonash is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
mopar250
1998 ZJ 

I did the conversion to a .dxf and .dwg file. Just as stated about I downloaded the free version of Sketchup pro and exported it. I work at a machine shop/fab shop, but it will be a bit before I get the chance to have them cut out, i've got some other projects going at the moment. I forgot my usb drive thingy at work, so I won't get the file there to know if it works out until tommorow. I transfered it as 2d, and would recomend everyone try and d/l Sketchup pro, just so you can rotate it around and see the back and the construction of the bumper. I would be very interested if someone gets everything cut. I didn't look at it very close, not sure if you need multiples of some things or one of everything. Maybe check that out before you guys get a price (maybe you already have). Looks like a fun project, and all the hard work is done already!
mopar250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #13
DanJeep21
1993 ZJ 

looks familiar. If not similar to current offerings.

I converted the file CAD. I'm going to print them off on the plotter at work and play with a scaled down version of this bumper. No need to pay someone when I can see what it looks like in person. Just a little time with the razors and tape tonight after the boy goes down.
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
zachreynolds

What an excellent idea, to try it out with a cardboard or paper model. Hell for that matter you could make it full size to trial fit it. That was one of my concerns with the plans, the question of how much research went into the measurements. I took rough measurements of my jeep and compared them to the drawing. Its pretty close, and I figured that I could make everything more precise as I welded it all together. It would be nice though to know for sure before hand of any problems or interference areas. Let us know how that goes, it will be interesting to find out.

-Zach
Unread 01-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #15
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

I'm definitely going to grab some cardboard and do a mockup to see if it works, if it does I'm absolutely going to fab that up! Fantastic idea!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.