hemi 5.7 gas mileage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > hemi 5.7 gas mileage

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 09-07-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
superflysmith

hemi 5.7 gas mileage

I've got almost 2500 miles on my 2005 Grand Cherokee 5.7. I got the oil changed at 800 miles, I'm not sure if that would help with gas mileage or not but I heard it was good to do an early oil change to get the metal shavings out of the engine. I've also changed the air filter to a K&N air filter which didn't seem to do anything.
I'm just wondering what kind of gas mileage others with the same motor are getting. Or even the 4.7 would give me some idea what I should be getting.
As it is now I'm getting any where between 12 and 13 mpg. This is mostly city mileage but not constant bumper to bumper. Every once in awhile I like to stomp on the gas but it is not a regular occurance. I usually ease up to speed.
Let me know what kind of gas mileage you are getting with your V8.

superflysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2005, 11:48 PM   #2
HemimanNYC

Had mine since Feb.

14,800 miles so far with no problems other than a faulty rear wiper that was replaced in an afternoon.

Remember the EVIC is an avg MPG not exact. The best I can get on the hwy has been 18.7 and that was when I hit cruise at 70MPH for almost two hours. My WJ with the 4.7 got 20/21MPG. Dont have a clue what the wrangler got but I sure remember it bein thirsty. The worst the EVIC has read on my 5.7 has been 8MPG!!! Thats when Im gunnin around. SO much fun to drive this thing hard but you sure freakin pay for it....

Former Vehicles
[B]2000 Jet Black JGC 4.7WJ Ltd. [/B]
Quadradrive I
Sidesteps/illuminated
K&N Air intake and Filter
265/75 Coopers

[B]1992 Black Wrangler Sport 4.0 [/B]
K&N filter & Intake /30' Coopers
600Watt Kicker Amp + 12'pyle SubWoofer
6 Sony Speakers
Sony faceplate (remember them?)
HemimanNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #3
HemimanNYC

[IMG]i3.photobucket.com/albums/y79/jdodds/IMG_0999.jpg[/IMG]

Former Vehicles
Quadradrive I
Sidesteps/illuminated
265/75 Coopers

6 Sony Speakers
Unread 09-08-2005, 05:23 AM   #4
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

7-9 mpg city, but I drive in bumper to bumper every day, spend lots of time idling at stoplights, and am on hills a lot. 7 mpg when I use the AC all the time, 9 mpg not using the AC.

19-21 mpg highway, cruising at the legal limit here of 62 mph (100 kph). 19 if I use the AC and don't use cruise, 21 if I don't use the AC and use the cruise control. Bump the speed up to about 70 mph (in those few stretches of road here that don't have photo radar), and the mileage range drops to 18-20.

AC use has a big effect on my mileage...MDS seems to operate very little with the AC on, but with the AC off it operates a lot. I think the AC puts enough of a drag on the engine to substantially narrow the band of engagement for MDS, which hurts mileage.

Depending on your driving conditions, 12-13 seems to be in the ballpark of what I've read others get with their hemi engines in city/suburban conditions.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
superflysmith

Thanks for the replies. Soldierguy you get 7-9 mpg. I hope you don't have to drive that Jeep everyday. That's got to be hard on the wallet. Well I'll be looking forward to winter for a gas mileage boost. I have yet to shut off my AC but because I'm in Wisconsin that won't last much longer.
Unread 09-08-2005, 07:52 AM   #6
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflysmith
Thanks for the replies. Soldierguy you get 7-9 mpg. I hope you don't have to drive that Jeep everyday. That's got to be hard on the wallet. Well I'll be looking forward to winter for a gas mileage boost. I have yet to shut off my AC but because I'm in Wisconsin that won't last much longer.
At least in Colorado during the winter months (Oct->Feb/Mar) they put Ethenol in the gas which drops mine 1-2mpg
Unread 09-08-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
2Grand4s

Ethanol in New York Gas Too !

Archer, Daniels, Midland Corporation gets a HEAVY subsidy for making Ethanol which would otherwise probably not exist commercially. They add Ethanol to our gas here in New York, or so all the gas pumps say. My understanding is the ADM company gets about 3 bucks a gallon from our tax dollars for producing and selling it before they actually sell it to the oil company's who add it to our gasoline.

My 1987 6 cylinder 4.0 litre Jeep Cherokee Laredo (AMC) got 21 MPG at 50 to 55 mph, lower mileage at higher speeds, using premium fuel.

The 1994 Grand Cherokee limited (Chrysler) with a 3.73 : 1 rear end ratio and the 5.2 cast iron V-8 gets 20 to 21 at 50-55 MPH, at 70 that drops down to about 18.5 to 19 mpg. If I replaced the 3.73 with lower ratio I could up the mileage, but loose a lot of power at the low end. Again Premium gas.

The 2004 Grand Cherokee Overland (Daimler) with the 4.7 alloy V-8, and Quadra Drive 2 system gets 18 on the highway at 50-55. I've only had it two years, and drive the 94 most of the time so I haven't yet tested the 70 MPH mileage. I just passed the 3000 mile mark on the odometer. Next week I'm taking it on a trip and will measure it, and get back to you. Premo gas too.

I also use 100% synthetic oil in all these engines, and transmissions, and differentials, and transfer cases. That is a plus for my mileage as well.

I could spend more to get a Hybrid, but I'd rather drive the Jeep and put the Hybrid upcharge into gasoline. Besides the Huge battery in those rides will need replacement if the battery in my cars is any indication, and what a battery case that's about four feet square will cost to replace, I'd rather not learn.

205,000 miles on the '94, 2500 Miles on the '04
2Grand4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #8
EricS2

When mine was brand new, I was getting around 13-14 mpg (combined, but mostly around town type of driving.) I'm now seeing a tad over 15 after 800-ish miles as the rings seat. I expect/hope it might go up a little more. I'm sure it will be better on the highway, because I can see my mpg go up as I drive along the short section of highway on my way to work. I step on the gas pedal like it was an egg. I checked tire pressure and it's right at spec (33 psi). I'm thinking of bumping that up to ~35psi just to see.
EricS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
HemimanNYC

To be honest - If I knew things would be THIS bad back in January when gas was under 2 bucks. I truly dont think I wouldve gone this way. Of course I am very happy with the truck and its my 3rd jeep but I just cannot afford to pay 55$ a tank every week. My wife has a very nice 2004 saab 93 convertible with a 4 cylinder turbo that she always tells me I can use whenever and I am thinking about starting to alternate a bit as I drive everyday while working. It gets 27MPG and has the sport package with the low profile Pirellis ...... It goes 140MPH too.......

Hopefully things will get better - I found a station on 233rd st in the north Bronx -2.99 a gallon for 87 grade..

Former Vehicles
Quadradrive I
Sidesteps/illuminated
265/75 Coopers

6 Sony Speakers
Unread 09-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #10
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemimanNYC
Hopefully things will get better - I found a station on 233rd st in the north Bronx -2.99 a gallon for 87 grade..
Thats not too bad at all, we are still at $2.99 here in Boulder for the cheapest I have seen (that is for 85)
Unread 09-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #11
superflysmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HemimanNYC
To be honest - If I knew things would be THIS bad back in January when gas was under 2 bucks. I truly dont think I wouldve gone this way. Of course I am very happy with the truck and its my 3rd jeep but I just cannot afford to pay 55$ a tank every week.

When I bought mine about a month ago I thought about buying the smaller V8 but decided to go with the hemi. Even though it gets terible gas mileage I love driving it. In my case my wife is the one that gets to drive the Grand Cherokee, I'm stuck with my 1995 Wrangler but I love that vehicle too. So I've got two gas guzzlers. We traded the Focus in for the Grand Cherokee. A move that I'd make again today if I had too.

Gas around here is as cheap as 2.97 at some station. http://www.gasbuddy.com/ Although that still puts me over $3 because I go with the mid-grade gas.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.