help, the zj is running warm, eating coolant, but not leaking to the ground - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help, the zj is running warm, eating coolant, but not leaking to the ground

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-16-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
leofanti
1993 ZJ 

help, the zj is running warm, eating coolant, but not leaking to the ground

ok ill give the scenario, 93 zj with 188k, aw4, 249, 35/30. i did a complete fluid change, oil, trans, diffs, tcase. but i didnt touch the cooling system since ive never had a problem before with it. well on to the problem. sitting at a red light in gear, or in the drive thru, the temp rises above 210 to 220. if i put it in neutral it doesnt climb, and sometimes drops. driving, no issues at all, and i havent tested it out on a trail either. yesterday when i popped the hood to check the levels, the oil is fine, good color, tranny seems fine, good color and level. and everything else checked out ok till i got to the radiator resevoir. its alot lower (full to add) then the last time i looked at it. roughly 2 weeks, i know iknow, but i overlook it sometimes. now i have no idea where the coolant is going, there is none on the ground, the oil looks fine. ive read about the sweet smelling exhaust, but it smells no different than my motorcycles exhaust. i also pulled the radiator cap off with it running and didnt see any bubbles in the fluid. so any suggestions? my s10 ran hot with no leaks, then one day, there is a pool of coolant under it and a 10 inch crack down the tank. i just assumed it plugged up but never knew for sure. but than again it ran hot on the freeway and in town, but sitting at a light it was fine. thanks in advance for the info. and if you need any more info just ask. thanks !!!

leofanti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

probably a head gasket.... there is a tester for exhaust gases in coolant.... well there used to be years ago ... don't know if they are still available
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:03 PM   #3
leofanti
1993 ZJ 

wouldnt a blown head gasket thats causing coolant loss produce bubbles in the radiator, that are visible with the cap off?
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

I notice you live in Phoenix. Hot weather no doubt. I lived in Bullhead City for a year then moved to Kingman to escape the NICE WARM SUMMERS.
Anyway, how low is it? What I do is take a black marker & fill to that mark when hot. Then I can quickly look at it when ever I stop for gas or checking things.
Then start watching how much you loose. You will loose some just by evaporation in the hot climates. All my truck have & do. But not much.
Are the hoses hold pressure when warmed up?
Really look it over close, just because fluid isn't hitting the ground you may have a slow leak hose or clamp, freeze plug starting to leak. When I bought our ZJ I had two freeze plugs leaking but no anti freeze on the ground. I found it only because I noticed the reservoir kept going low. So I started to crawl around under it & found them.
Just my thoughts.
CULate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
leofanti
1993 ZJ 

****important**** im sorry i forgot to mention this in the very beginning, but since the fluid change, the tranny has started to shift a little funny, it tends to really like third gear regardless of where the gas pedal is. could the tranny not operating correctly/differently affect the engines operating temperature like i described. like the engine is working harder since the tranny is having issues.

good old bullhead, i lived there for a while with my brother when i was a kid, right across the river from the colorado belle. oh those were the days, anyways back to the matter at hand. yeah, it doesnt help that im in phoenix, where your car is damn near driving temperature before you start it. ive been underneath and see no signs of coolant anywhere. and i have looked it up and down, nothing seems out of the ordinary. im going to change the oil in about a hour and will look over it all again. thanks again.
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
leofanti
1993 ZJ 

well i just changed the oil and it appears to be alright. nothing unusual to report there. the tranny fluid level is good too along with everything else. the radiator resevoir did change levels on the way home, so the cooling system seems to be working properly. im just wondering if changing the fluid in the tranny, and not knowing if its been neglected or not, is making the tranny not work right. this is gonna bug me, hurry up fall, get this 115 degree weather out of here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.