Help - WJ front axle into ZJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help - WJ front axle into ZJ?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #16
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

You have an axle that won't physically bolt into a ZJ, and you're worrying about brakes?

Unread 10-04-2010, 08:58 PM   #17
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

I've got a high pinion D30 from a Cherokee with ABS (bigger u-joint) and 3.55 gearset in Chicago.

All it needs is rotors, and calipers.

What WJ axle do you have? I'm looking for one with 3.73 gears, and a u-joint front input. I will gladly trade straight up if you've got what I need.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:22 PM   #18
ADaughen

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
I've got a high pinion D30 from a Cherokee with ABS (bigger u-joint) and 3.55 gearset in Chicago.

All it needs is rotors, and calipers.

What WJ axle do you have? I'm looking for one with 3.73 gears, and a u-joint front input. I will gladly trade straight up if you've got what I need.

'00 WJ LP D30. 3.73:1 gear ratio. Axle doesn't have the u-joint front input. We were planning on swapping that out with the bad axle. Remember, our WJ axle doesn't have hubs. It does have the Teves(?) calipers and brackets - whatever one isn't Akebono.

Let me see what my buddy says. My dad will be going there M-W of next week for training so it might work out for a free trip.
ADaughen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Ok, this might work. Do you know if the axle came from a quadradrive equipped Jeep?

2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
Unread 10-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #20
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

You got everything that sucks about a wj axle and you're going to all this trouble to make it "fit".

A zj axle with the right gears will be much cheaper in the end.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #21
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
You got everything that sucks about a wj axle and you're going to all this trouble to make it "fit".

A zj axle with the right gears will be much cheaper in the end.
Hell, an HP D30 is an upgrade in relation to the WJ axle.

I just wish we got the HP as an option, even.

Unread 11-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #22
ADaughen

Well guys, due to no extra funds, and no way to go get another axle, we ended up rebuilding the ZJ axle. Fortunately the planetary was a lot more simple than we had expected.

Today is the day of truth...
Unread 11-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaughen View Post
Well guys, due to no extra funds, and no way to go get another axle, we ended up rebuilding the ZJ axle. Fortunately the planetary was a lot more simple than we had expected.

Today is the day of truth...
What planetary? I guess you mean the spider gears? Hope you got the gears set up correctly. They don't last long otherwise.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2010, 09:52 AM   #24
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

You guys are retarded. Sorry, but it's true. I highly doubt you rebuilt the axle correctly, and after a month you definetly could have sold the WJ axle and at worst thrown in a few more bucks for a ZJ axle. Nobody that can afford the gas and insurance a vehicle requires is THAT broke.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:40 PM   #25
ADaughen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
You guys are retarded. Sorry, but it's true. I highly doubt you rebuilt the axle correctly, and after a month you definetly could have sold the WJ axle and at worst thrown in a few more bucks for a ZJ axle. Nobody that can afford the gas and insurance a vehicle requires is THAT broke.

Yep, retarded. I will admit I didn't ask the right people when V went looking for a Dana 30 originally.

Who is burning gas? The axle has been out for three months. Kinda hard to drive when there isn't rubber on the road.

If you know of any decent jobs in SE Ohio post them up. Maybe we can get it fixed properly then.
Unread 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
ADaughen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
What planetary? I guess you mean the spider gears? Hope you got the gears set up correctly. They don't last long otherwise.

The internets said it wasn't that hard. Meh, pull out, put in. Everything spins. Better than it was prior. And I was all worried about lash/backlash...
Unread 11-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #27
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaughen View Post
The internets said it wasn't that hard. Meh, pull out, put in. Everything spins. Better than it was prior. And I was all worried about lash/backlash...
If you mean spiders, it is that simple. If you mean gears, it isn't even close.

Unread 01-18-2011, 04:31 AM   #28
billymac4511
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
I wonder can that be compensated for by using 99-2006 TJ/XJ wheel bearings ?
I've got a WJ front axle and am considering swapping it into my TJ to get rid of the lame y-link steering.

I've read that you bolt on TJ wheel hub assy's and put a .5" spacer between the hub assy and the knuckle and that solves the issue with binding. Then replace the rotors with the ford sport trac ones.

Better brakes, no y-link gayness... I'm pleased... considering I got the WJ axle for pretty much nothing. Top it off with bad ball joints, worn out brakes and both wheel hub assy's pretty-much toast on my TJ D30. I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Only chopping that I see I'll need to do is for the lower track bar. I'll need to trim a little smidgin out of the bottom of the passenger-side spring pan so the track bar can rotate up some when the pass-side of the front axle droops.
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:34 AM   #29
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymac4511 View Post
I've got a WJ front axle and am considering swapping it into my TJ to get rid of the lame y-link steering.

I've read that you bolt on TJ wheel hub assy's and put a .5" spacer between the hub assy and the knuckle and that solves the issue with binding. Then replace the rotors with the ford sport trac ones.

Better brakes, no y-link gayness... I'm pleased... considering I got the WJ axle for pretty much nothing. Top it off with bad ball joints, worn out brakes and both wheel hub assy's pretty-much toast on my TJ D30. I'd say I'm doing pretty good.

Only chopping that I see I'll need to do is for the lower track bar. I'll need to trim a little smidgin out of the bottom of the passenger-side spring pan so the track bar can rotate up some when the pass-side of the front axle droops.
do more reading...seriously, you're not even close to doing it right.

Unread 01-18-2011, 03:29 PM   #30
NapsterZJ
1995 ZJ 

You guys went at this all wrong. You could have had a beefed up axle under the ZJ.

Of course this means going out and buying a ZJ axle with almost nothing on it. You could've used the WJ knuckles for crossover steering and that would made things nice and strong. Brake upgrade from single to dual piston. Sucks you guys didn't really read up on this.

DD - Stock 99 WJ 4.7 QD with flo 40
NapsterZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.