Help - WJ front axle into ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help - WJ front axle into ZJ?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
ADaughen

Help - WJ front axle into ZJ?

Anyone swap front axles before? Buddy lost a front axle off his '93 ZJ and picked up a spare off a wrecked '00 WJ. We're finding there are quite a bit of differences...

Track bar - frame mount is different. Using the old one with a new lower bushing.
Steering - the whole assembly is different. Planning on using the one off the WJ.
Steering knuckles.
Brake calipers. WJ has 2-piston NICE!

The WJ axle might also be ~1" wider than the ZJ.

The assembly we got didn't have the wheel hubs. The parts store has two part numbers between the ZJ and WJ. What we are hoping is they are interchangeable, otherwise I have to try to swap steering knuckles, etc. Project went from changing out ~10 bolts to a week long process.

ADaughen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #2
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

May as well just cut all the bracketry off the WJ axle and get new ZJ/XJ/TJ brackets and spring perches. Nothing is going to be bolt up about it.

You can use the steering and outer knuckles with WJ hubs. Will need to have the hubs and rotors redrilled to the correct bolt pattern though if you want the wheels to go back on.

Sell it, and buy a high pinion D30 from a XJ, then use the steering and brakes from the WJ and have the hubs redrilled. There's no benefit to doing all that work with the WJ axle.
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The wj if 3" wider and none of the bracket locations match up. Too much work for an lp30.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
ADaughen

JrMechanic, buying another axle is not in the cards for him. Unless you want to trade front axles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
The wj if 3" wider and none of the bracket locations match up. Too much work for an lp30.
We measured they are within ~1" on width CV shaft to CV shaft. The control arms, spring perches, and track bar are spaced correctly...

Steering is set up differently, but the steering box is in the same location, so we're planning on using the full steering off the WJ.
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
WyoZJ
1994 ZJ 

I think trying to make an axle that is that different of a fit with little modification is a bad idea. You dont want to put an axle that is that much wider in the front anyway. Try to find a HP30 out of an xj. Or at least another lp30 from a zj. If he can afford brackets for this axle he can afford an xj axle if he looks a little. I picked up my HP30 for 45 bucks. Start huntin craigslist

Front and rear Trailready bumpers, roof rack, IRO Rear long arms, and HD adjustable track bar for sale
WyoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADaughen View Post
JrMechanic, buying another axle is not in the cards for him. Unless you want to trade front axles.

We measured they are within ~1" on width CV shaft to CV shaft. The control arms, spring perches, and track bar are spaced correctly...

Steering is set up differently, but the steering box is in the same location, so we're planning on using the full steering off the WJ.
No, they aren't spaced correctly, nor are the spring perches the correct size.

Apparently a working Jeep isn't in the cards for him, either.
Unread 10-03-2010, 11:01 PM   #7
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoZJ View Post
try to find a HP30 out of an xj. Or at least another lp30 from a zj. If he can afford brackets for this axle he can afford an xj axle if he looks a little. I picked up my HP30 for 45 bucks. Start huntin craigslist
I agree.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:35 AM   #8
ADaughen

Thanks guys.
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
JrMechanic, buying another axle is not in the cards for him . . .
Unless he wants to spend lots of money then buying another axle is the only option.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:

wms to wms on a zj is 60.5", on a wj it is 63.5".

you are not measuring from the correct spots apparently. the wj axle will need stripped of all wj brackets and zj brackets will need put on. you'll probably have a minimum of 300$ in to brackets and then you've got the totally wrong bolt pattern on the wheels to worry about and setting up the steering....get an xj, zj, or tj axle.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #11
ADaughen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
wms to wms on a zj is 60.5", on a wj it is 63.5".

you are not measuring from the correct spots apparently. the wj axle will need stripped of all wj brackets and zj brackets will need put on. you'll probably have a minimum of 300$ in to brackets and then you've got the totally wrong bolt pattern on the wheels to worry about and setting up the steering....get an xj, zj, or tj axle.

We didn't have the hubs for the WJ. So no, I wasn't measuring from the WMS. I was going to swap over the ZJ hubs before I found out Chrysler has f*d me again. The ZJ hubs would give me the correct bolt pattern and hopefully the shorter width.

I hate my life sometimes.
Unread 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #12
ADaughen

Well, after a day of work I went back over with the tools I was missing. The hubs bolt up and engage the CV shafts. ZJ rotors won't fit on the WJ due to the rotor hat depth... I just need to find some rotors in 5x4.5 bolt pattern that are 12.01" diameter and 2.50" high...

ETA:
It looks like I will need a small spacer between the ZJ hub and WJ knuckle to center the CV shaft joint...
Unread 10-04-2010, 05:45 PM   #13
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

You need the JKS spacers for $21 and the rotors , from A WJ , but drilled to the ZJ bolt pattern . You will not find a match that I am aware of . Let me know if you do

JKS Manufacturing: FAB Parts
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
ADaughen

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
You need the JKS spacers for $21 and the rotors , from A WJ , but drilled to the ZJ bolt pattern . You will not find a match that I am aware of . Let me know if you do

JKS Manufacturing: FAB Parts

Thanks, those were the ones I was looking at.

Few people were running the Ford Explorer Sprot Trac rotors, but they had to have a .1" spacer between the rotor hat and hub. Redrilled rotors appear to be the better bet.

I am seeing where the missing 2" is coming from, now. >_<
Unread 10-04-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks, those were the ones I was looking at.

Few people were running the Ford Explorer Sprot Trac rotors, but they had to have a .1" spacer between the rotor hat and hub. Redrilled rotors appear to be the better bet.
I wonder can that be compensated for by using 99-2006 TJ/XJ wheel bearings ?
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.