HELP! What's that GRINDING NOISE? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 04-01-2006, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
mystrdylan

HELP! What's that GRINDING NOISE?

Hello all,

I was looking for a first car, and my uncle had a 1998 Grand Cherokee V8 tsi with a major problem. His mechanic said it was a destroyed front differential, but I think it's the transmission. It runs fine in neutral, but putting it in any gear (even PARK) makes a REALLY BAD grinding noise.

It's got about 120k miles and the quote to fix it was $1600. My uncle didn't want to pay, but he offered the Jeep to me for free! He even paid for the towing! So now I've got a car, but it doesn't drive.

It's in my backyard now, and I plan on fixing it (if I can) myself. Once I've got the thing driving, I can dump the money I've been saving for a car into tricking out this one. Lift, Hella Lights, flared wheel wells, new exhaust system... Now that is one sweet deal.

What do you think the unhealthy grinding noise is? The only time it goes away is in "N" for both shifter levers (both 4WD Hi/Lo and the main Drive/Park levers in N).

Is it worth the $90 for a Factory Service Manual if I plan on repairing it myself, or is the Haynes repair book enough?

Thanks,
Dylan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-01-2006, 10:09 PM
madcabbie

What are you 16? Do you have any mechanical expierience? Im just wondering what makes you think your smarter than the mechanic

I say that because i belive he is right...

99 WJ
4.0l|Westin Side Steps|Safari Bar|Pro Comp Explorer Lights| Rustys Catback|31in Yokahama Geolander AT II's|KOR 2.5in BB|V8 UC springs for a total of 3.5in Lift|Rubicon Shocks|OME SS|

Everytime Someone calls a Jeep, an SUV, GOD Kills a kitten.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 12:42 AM
joeyschribar

when idleing, and you start it in park, does it grind horribly as soon as its running??

one time last summer i put in a new tranny in my zj, and i made a mistake of having the t-case in between gears, and as soon at it started it would grind horribly.

what solved the problem for me was to adjust the linkage to my t-case so that it would fully engage into 4-all time, N, and 4-low.

id say remove the linkage, and manually shift the t-case into either 4-hi or 4-lo, and see if u still have the grinding noise.. i hope this helps you!

post #4 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 12:44 AM
joeyschribar

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcabbie
What are you 16? Do you have any mechanical expierience? Im just wondering what makes you think your smarter than the mechanic

I say that because i belive he is right...
correct me if im wrong, but
how could the mechanic be correct (on the differential) if it makes the grinding noise while in PARK as well???
post #5 of 11 Old 04-02-2006, 04:58 PM
zjhitman

Joeyschribar is right. If it's doing it even in PARK, it is definitely not the differential. That means you have to isolate whether it is the transmission or the transfer case. I would do like Joeyschribar said and disconnect the transfer case linkage and manually shift it into LOW then start it and see if it tries to move. If not, try the HIGH range. Before you start tearing things apart, you need to be sure which part is bad. Do the wheels ever try to turn in any gear selector position? How about Reverse? You will definitely need a factory manual for this one. Sometimes the public libraries have the manuals and you can go in and check out or copy the pages you need. Or you can also find them on Ebay. Got my 97 Factory manual for $49 + shipping on Ebay. Keep updating your posts and people will try to help.

zjhitman
post #6 of 11 Old 04-03-2006, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
mystrdylan

joeyschribar and zjhitman

Thanks for backing me up, I didn't think the differential story made any sense.

Yes, it immediately starts grinding as I start it in park.

I'll find a service manual either at the Library or on Ebay, I saw one go for $66 last week.

I'll try adjusting the linkage, how exactly could I engage the transfer case manually? Is there a bar or cable to push/pull? I think I saw something in the Haynes book about adjusting the linkage.

I haven't tried reverse yet. If I do end up having to replace either the transfer case or transmission, is there one available better than the stock one? Is it worth it for an upgrade? I have no idea what the options are except to replace it with the same.

Thanks,
Dylan
post #7 of 11 Old 04-03-2006, 09:13 PM
zjhitman

Look at the linkage for the transfer case underneath to see if anything looks loose or worn out. I don't know if you can shift it with the engine off and the jeep not rolling. The reason I say that is that the manaul for my 97 says to shift positions on the transfer case while the vehicle is rolling at LESS THAN 3 mph. Then I can feel it go into gear. When you shift it with the selector lever from inside the vehicle, did you do it with the engine running? If that linkage is not properly adjusted, I think you could get a grinding noise since the gears may not be properly engaged. On the other hand, it sounds like the problem may be in the transmission since the transfer case should not even be turning when the selector is in Park which you say is when the noise happens. This is where you really need the manual to isolate the noise.

zjhitman
post #8 of 11 Old 04-03-2006, 09:57 PM
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystrdylan
I'll try adjusting the linkage, how exactly could I engage the transfer case manually? Is there a bar or cable to push/pull? I think I saw something in the Haynes book about adjusting the linkage.
Fully engage the handbrake and put the tranny in neutral, crawl underneath the Jeep until you are looking up at the transfer case and find the linkage (on the passenger side of the case), grab it closest to the transfer case and pull (hard) all the way forward or back. If I remember correctly pulling it towards the front of the Jeep will be 4-high.

'11 WK2 Limited 5.7
Looking for a WK2 full size spare tire and 18" rims
post #9 of 11 Old 04-03-2006, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
mystrdylan

Thanks for your help zjhitman, what you're saying makes sense. I just can't be sure yet if it's the transfer case or the transmission. I'll keep working on it. The next thing to do is lift it up and just examine the parts. The problem might become clear if I see something underneath.

The first thing to check is the linkage, because that would be the easiest fix if that is the only problem.

And thanks to Reswob for the tip about manual engagement.

-Dylan
post #10 of 11 Old 04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Before you do the manual engagement. Have a friend on the Brake pedal and make sure everything is in Neutral first.

It would be a Darwin award winner to read about the death of a jeeper underneath his Grand trying to manually shift it.

Hunter

04 4.7 HO, limited
04 4.7 HO, Overland

08 Z71 Suburban, front leveling kit with rear spacers. 285/65 18s Nitto TerraGrappler G2s

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

For your performance needs:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2006, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
mystrdylan

Thanks for the extra warning! I think I would have realized somewhere along the line that shifting the car into gear while underneath it WHILE IT'S RUNNING is not a very bright idea. I like zjhitman's idea of manually shifting and THEN starting the car, with foot on brake.

But why is the tranfer case grinding when the transmission is still in neutral? Shouldn't the output from the transmission not be turning when it's in neutral?

I hope I have this straight: power goes from the Engine --> Transmission --> Transfer case --> Driveshafts (I don't have 2WD option) -->Differentials --> Axles -->Wheels.

Am I missing any steps? What else could it be?

The stupidest idea I've heard of involving a Jeep:
I can't verify this story, I heard it from a friend who was in Moab two years before she told me this. It's a very simple tale, and if the driver had died he would have deserved a Darwin Award. But apparently he escaped this stupid move (his rig did not): He tried to cross the gap on Gemini Bridges (go from one of them to the other). Anyone who has done this Moab trail knows why that's a bad idea!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.