Help with Transmission Slipping - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with Transmission Slipping

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-11-2003, 08:55 AM   #1
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

Help with Transmission Slipping

My 94 GC with 160K miles on it is having problems. The transmission is slipping at low and high speeds. I dropped the trans cover and replaced the filer 10K ago. Has anyone ever adjusted the two band adjustments? Am I in for a new tranny?

It's a 4.0 L QuadraTrac with automatic transmission.

greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2003, 10:32 AM   #2
automan25

Obviously the first thing you'll want to do is adjust the bands and see if that cures the problem. It's a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than replacing your transmission. Get a service manual for the proper adjustment procedure. You'll probably need a couple of new tools. Namely an inch/lbs. torque wrench and a funky curved extension to reach the front band adjustment screw. (read the instructions that come with the torque wrench to find out how to use an extension properly with a torque wrench)

Don't wait too long to do this. When your transmission is slipping against the bands, it is wearing out the bands and generating a lot of extra heat. Once the bands are worn out completely no amount of adjustment will cure the problem.
Unread 09-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #3
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan25
Obviously the first thing you'll want to do is adjust the bands and see if that cures the problem. It's a whole lot easier (and cheaper) than replacing your transmission. Get a service manual for the proper adjustment procedure. You'll probably need a couple of new tools. Namely an inch/lbs. torque wrench and a funky curved extension to reach the front band adjustment screw. (read the instructions that come with the torque wrench to find out how to use an extension properly with a torque wrench)

Don't wait too long to do this. When your transmission is slipping against the bands, it is wearing out the bands and generating a lot of extra heat. Once the bands are worn out completely no amount of adjustment will cure the problem.
Thanks for the reply. I tried to adjust/check the bands a couple years back, but I failed due to the funky curved wrench that you mentioned. I will search for one first before attemping this :-)
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2003, 07:39 PM   #4
RockPaws

How is the fluid level while in neutral? Make sure its correct, this trans can be tempermental with incorrect level. I would also drop the pan and change the filter again. Check for metal in the pan.

My 97' Grand transmission went out at 60K. The over drive unit is the part that usually fails (and it did) due to lack of oil to it(metal in the pan too). The oil passage is too small and needs to be drilled out to improve oil flow.

If it does need a rebuild have them install more clutch disc's in the over drive unit. Their are 2 clutch packs, one can take one more and the other 2-3 more.

If you want a transmission shift kit. I have a TransGo kit for the JGC auto trans. I bought it for a customer and did not use it. I put it in our JGC at overhaul... very nice shifting trans! Email me.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.