Help with trans question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with trans question.

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 08-16-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Help with trans question.

I was driving on Interstate today and at @ 68 mph wih the C.Control set. with 4.56s , the rpms were @ 2,300.

As I was halfway up a long grade, The trans downshifted and would not go back into Overdrive for the remainder of the trip. I noticed that the Led that is for the Momentary Overdrive off switch was illuminated and would not go out. I pulled over , Inspected and even disconnected the Bat.
Led for the overdrive lock out would not go out when power was retuned.
The trans acted normal. after stopping it when to first second and thrird with out issue. The problem is that the led would not go out and it would not shift to overdrive. My rpms were over 3,000 doing 55mph.

Ok here is some more info. when the jeep cooled down for an Hour. the overdrive lock out led and switch worked normal. then 10 min later the led came on with out my aid. again I lost the overdrive .

I let it sit at work for a few hours, Now it is fine but I did not drive more than 15 min. \\ the switch trans and led work normal .

How does overdrive lock out circuit work? what would cause the circuit to activate automaticlly
Any info to guide me with my troubleshooting would be great.

sadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
elmer_fud
1995 ZJ 

I think there is a tempature sensor in the transmission that us used for the lockout. If the transmission gets hot I think it locks out overdrive. I though it also turned on a light on the dash when the transmission was hot.

if you don't have a tranny cooler it would probally be a good idea to add one
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedycat View Post
I am not one to be changing lanes at 70 mph on a lifted truck on 33's, but since I am in Miami, I have to be prepared for the continuous influx of new drivers whose previous ride was a bicycle with wooden wheels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, badger, Mushroom!!! :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Or just tie a 12 lb fish to a one foot pipe.
elmer_fud is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
sadass
5.9,242,4.56,Aussies x 2

1998 ZJ 

Thanks, I think you are right. That would all add up as to when it happend and why it is not faulting now.
sadass is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.