help tracking down a code and evap system probs. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help tracking down a code and evap system probs.

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 02-23-2008, 09:49 PM   #1
fivespeedsteed

help tracking down a code and evap system probs.

ok so i threw a code today - P4056 which is

Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (very small leak)

description is :

(Also see Notes in P0455 above). Does customer regularly commute on a steep grade (down hill grades in excess of 10%? Has the Leak Detection Pump Operation and Diagnosis booklet (Publication No. 81-170-000606) been used to assist in the diagnosis?

Review and if necessary, perform TSB 18-010-02. Be sure to completely read the TSB. The fix for the condition is a PCM replacement, not a reprogramming of the controller. Be sure that there is not any leaks in the system. This TSB applies in a very limited number of cases and usually in mountainous regions. TSB 18-010-02 Is a PCM replacement correct an erroneous MIL illumination for SAE P0456 that sets when driven on steep grades.

what do you sugest i try first? i got this code once before and i looked at the evap canister under the hood and there was a hose that was leading from it that was cracked and i tookl it off and bypassed it and it went away after clearing the ecu. thanks for the help guys

2001 Yamaha Waverunner gp1200r
fivespeedsteed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #2
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

so is your prob fixed ? ive had this problem for a while now... havnt been able to get rid of it. kinda gave up dont feel like throwin money at it.

-Aaron

silentbob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
tsconver
2003 WJ 

Try the gas cap, make sure seals are good and clean on it, if in doubt replace it. If that does not fix it then it is hunting time, could bea small hole in a hose or the actual pump, the pump is the small device on the drivers fender under teh hose right next toteh master cylinder. Check hose and it first.

We have room but for one flag, the American flag . . . We have room but for one language, and that is the English language . . . And we have room for but one sole loyalty...and that is a loyalty to the American people. T. Roosevelt 1919

2003 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Laredo

My Build Thread

A few goodies
http://s257.photobucket.com/albums/h...umb55839/jeep/

2001 Kawasaki 1200 ZRX
A few Speed parts, fun to ride
http://www.zrxoa.org/

2006 Red Liberty
Wife's ride, pretty stock
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/h...mage0008-1.jpg

http://www.cnc4x4.org/

http://www.treadlightly.org/

tsconver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 03:16 PM   #4
silentbob21
2004 WJ 

is the LDP the thing mounted to the side of the engine bay, has a plug going to it.... mounted on some rubber grommets.

I replaced gas cap twice, and replaced a hose that was cracked. all other hoses that I have seen look good. LDP or charcoal canister would be my next step but I dont want to pay $100+ for those parts... and them not fix anything

-Aaron

silentbob21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
fivespeedsteed

i got this code before and i checked the evap thing on the driver side of the bay in the back and there was a h ose coming off it that was cracked so i fixed it, and reset the computer and it went away. i just had advance reset the computer again and it hasnt come back up. if it does ill look at that gas cap seal once more. thank you for the help.
2001 Yamaha Waverunner gp1200r
fivespeedsteed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.