JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Help! Towing question (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/help-towing-question-1529906/)

da8 05-29-2013 07:00 PM

Help! Towing question
 
I have a tow dolly and am going to tow a 98 jeep grand cherokee. It is all the time 4 wheel drive. Will it damage it if I tow it? I thought I read somewhere you can mess up the 4 wheel drive if you tow? Is that correct?

Virmagicus 05-29-2013 07:15 PM

Front up, transfer case in neutral. Tranz in Park (yes park lol)

WhiteOut 05-29-2013 07:18 PM

Couldn't you just unhook the rear driveshaft from the diff and strap it up?

Virmagicus 05-29-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 15496213)
Couldn't you just unhook the rear driveshaft from the diff and strap it up?



Yeah, but you could dump fluid from the TC.

dnuccio 05-29-2013 07:29 PM

they sell a tool at harbor freight that you stick in the tail housing of a trans or tcase to keep from dumping fluid out. a gatorade cap works in a pinch

Mickey_D 05-29-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virmagicus (Post 15496195)
Front up, transfer case in neutral. Tranz in Park (yes park lol)

But this doesn't release the viscous coupler. From what I know ZJ's can only be flat towed or flat bed / full trailer.

Putting the front axle on a tow dolly and the rear wheels on the ground will end badly.

Unless you disconnect the rear driveshaft from the axle and strap it up as suggested before (ensuring the front of the shaft does not slide out of the transfer case or you will lose fluid).

dnuccio 05-29-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey_D (Post 15496320)
But this doesn't release the viscous coupler. From what I know ZJ's can only be flat towed or flat bed / full trailer.

Putting the front axle on a tow dolly and the rear wheels on the ground will end badly.

Unless you disconnect the rear driveshaft from the axle and strap it up as suggested before (ensuring the front of the shaft does not slide out of the transfer case or you will lose fluid).

or pull the driveshaft completely and put a plug in like i suggested

da8 05-29-2013 07:44 PM

so is virmagicus right? Can I do that without pulling the drive shaft????

Virmagicus 05-29-2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by da8 (Post 15496389)
so is virmagicus right? Can I do that without pulling the drive shaft????



Go with what Whiteout & MickeyD suggested.

kachink 05-29-2013 08:29 PM

From the '98 owners manual:

Quote:

CAUTION!
Internal damage to the transfer case will occur if a
front or rear wheel lift is used when recreational
towing.

Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for being towed:

CAUTION!
It is necessary to follow these steps to be certain that the transfer case is fully in N (Neutral) before recreational towing to prevent damage to internal parts.

1. Shift the transmission into N (Neutral).
2. Shift the transfer case lever into N (Neutral). All 4WD indicator lights and tires in the vehicle outline will turn off.
3. Shift the automatic transmission into D (Drive) and make sure there is no vehicle movement.
4. Turn the ignition key to the unlocked OFF position to prevent the steering column from locking.
5. Shift the automatic transmission into P (Park).

WARNING!
With the transfer case in N (Neutral) position, the vehicle could roll unexpectedly. The parking brake should always be applied when the driver is not in the vehicle.

6. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle with tow bar.

CAUTION!
Do not use a bumper mounted clamp-on tow bar on your vehicle. The bumper face bar will be damaged.

CAUTION!
Do not disconnect rear prop shaft because fluid will leak from the transfer case and damage internal parts.

dnuccio 05-29-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kachink (Post 15496599)
From the '98 owners manual:

the last part about not pulling the rear driveshaft is only true if you dont plug it. if you plug it, you wont hurt anything

WhiteOut 05-30-2013 07:17 AM

Also, if you only disconnect the diff side and make sure it is secured in such a way that the slip yoke will not disengage, you'll be fine.

Mickey_D 05-30-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteOut (Post 15497815)
Also, if you only disconnect the diff side and make sure it is secured in such a way that the slip yoke will not disengage, you'll be fine.

Agreed. Strap the (disconnected) U-joint to, I don't know, the exhaust? Put a bungee cord hook in the U-joint bolt hole and hook the other end to the transmission crossmember (so its tension pulls the driveshaft forward into the transfercase).

It's only 4 bolts, and since it's a Jeep you don't even need a jack. Just slide under there. I do believe it's a 5/16 box end wrench that's required.

dnuccio 05-30-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickey_D (Post 15501037)
It's only 4 bolts, and since it's a Jeep you don't even need a jack. Just slide under there. I do believe it's a 5/16 box end wrench that's required.

yep 5/16 wrench or a socket and rachet will work

da8 06-03-2013 11:07 AM

Well, I broke something. Got the jeep was having some trouble disconecting the rear drive shaft. We put it on the tow dolly and moved it maybe 20 feet so I could get under there better. When moving it the rear drive shaft broke off. So then I just pulled it out. But when I got it home it seems the tranny is messed up, it would not stay in park now. And when we pushed in the driveway we heard a clicking noise as it was moving. I could care less, I just need the front end. I had the transfer case in neutral. Do you think this would have damaged the front end at all?


The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.