help with thermostat replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help with thermostat replacement

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRCI FUEL CELL BRACKET - Perfect for the back of your JeepARTEC LABOR DAY SALE - 15% off

Unread 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

help with thermostat replacement

i'm begining to try and do some of my own work lately and i read that the thermostat was one of the easier jobs. I've located it, which is a big accomplishment in itself, and removed 1 out of 2 screws holding it. the last screw is below the drivebelt and i can't quite get to it. i've tried to remove parts to access it easier like the fan guard, and even that won't come out. i've been at it for the last 4 hours and no luck. this job was supposed to be an hour max!

any one have any tips?

lennlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:21 PM   #2
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

The fan shroud come out only with the fan. So you'll have to remove the 4 nuts on the front of the fan, not the fan clutch on the very front, with an open/box end wrench or ratcheting wrench since a socket wrench won't fit. Leave your belt tight for this and you may need to put a long screwdriver in-between the nuts/studs as a lever to hold it steady. Kind of knuckle scraper position but it's best to have the shroud off to remove the old gasket material. Make sure when you put the fan/shroud back in the 2 bottom tabs go into the slots on the back/bottom of the radiator. Good luck and hope this helps.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 03:55 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Leave your belt tight for this and you may need to put a long screwdriver in-between the nuts/studs as a lever to hold it steady
I'd say 100% you'll need to do this, especially if the nuts haven't been broken loose in a while. I use a prybar in my left hand to hold the pulley steady, and a 13mm box-end wrench to break the nuts loose. There's a bit of a technique to getting onto those nuts with the fan blades in the way, and you just have to do it to work it out.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

if you're just doing the thermostat you don't need to remove the fan or shroud... you may need to loosen the belt but even that might not be necessary
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2014, 01:56 AM   #5
excessive
1998 ZJ 

All I did on my 4.0 was loosen the belt. Been on there 17 years, came off reasonably easy that way.
excessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 05:01 PM   #6
lennlin
1995 ZJ 

hey guys an update here:

i removed the fan shroud with relative ease except whoever worked on it before stripped some of the fan bolts.

if the fan shroud wasn't removed before then it would have been difficult in cleaning off the housing so definately recommend it for others out there.

and whats weird was I was planning on draining my coolant system/doing a general flush but could not find the radiator plug. turns out my jeep has a big metal bumper guard that blocks it. like literally if i popped the plug off it would pool into my guard underneath the radiator. does anyone else have this problem?
lennlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2014, 05:35 PM   #7
Jeepkruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennlin View Post
like literally if i popped the plug off it would pool into my guard underneath the radiator. does anyone else have this problem?
Then just drain your coolant by taking off the lower radiator hose. If you have a high mileaged Jeep with an unknown history (like mine), that is how you find out that the plastic radiator outlet was about gone and a new radiator was needed.
Jeepkruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 01:22 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennlin View Post
hey guys an update here:

i removed the fan shroud with relative ease except whoever worked on it before stripped some of the fan bolts.

if the fan shroud wasn't removed before then it would have been difficult in cleaning off the housing so definately recommend it for others out there.

and whats weird was I was planning on draining my coolant system/doing a general flush but could not find the radiator plug. turns out my jeep has a big metal bumper guard that blocks it. like literally if i popped the plug off it would pool into my guard underneath the radiator. does anyone else have this problem?
So is your plug behind the grill on the drivers side lower rad side towards the bottom? Not sure if the 95 4.0 is the same as my 96 4.0 but I just put a piece of hose about the same size as the nipple sticking out of the plug, loosen it part way, and drain it into a bucket underneath. Not sure what to tell you about the bumper guard in the way but there's about 6-8 philips screws in the grill to remove it.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.