Help with serpentine belt. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with serpentine belt.

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:27 AM   #1
ibms10

Help with serpentine belt.

I have changed the serpentine belt on other vehicles that I have owned with no problem, but for some reason, my 98 ZJ with a 4.0 is giving me a headache. The diagram shows that the tensioner pulley should just move to the right. However, I can't get the pulley to budge to get the new belt on. Any thoughts or assistance on changing the belt would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Unread 03-30-2002, 11:14 AM   #2
sadler207j

WELL I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR THE 93 ZJ 4.0, TO GET THE BELT OFF OR ADJUST IT THERE IS NO PULLY TENSIONER LIKE MOST CARS. BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE POWER STEARING PUMP, ON THE BOTTOM YOU WILL SEE A THREADED ROD THAT MOVES THE PUMP TO ADJUST TENSION. YOU HAVE TO LOSSEN ABOUT 4 BOLTS TO GET THE PUMP TO MOVE, ITS HAS PIVIOT POINTS, NOT ONLY DO YOU HAVE TO BACK OUT THAT THREADED ROD BUT YOU HAVE TO LOSSEN THE ANCHOR THAT IT THREADS THREW. IT TOOK ME SOME TIME TO FIGURE OUT HOW IT WORKED. GOOD LUCK, I HOPE THIS HELPS
sadler207j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2002, 12:04 PM   #3
ibms10

Thanks, I see the tensioner rod you are talking about. All I needed was a good start. I appreciate it.
Unread 03-31-2002, 08:15 AM   #4
ibms10

Notes for anyone else with the same setup that may need a hand: On the '98 4.0L, it is unnecessary to remove the water pump. 1.)Use a 15mm socket to loosen the idler pulley, just a couple of turns. 2)At the end of the bracket that the idler pulley attached to, you will see another 15mm bolt that runs the length of the bracket. 3) Turn this counter clockwise until there is enough slack to remove the old belt. 4)Install the new belt and reverse these instructions. That's it, about 15 minutes not including time for applying band-aids for fan incidents during routing the new belt.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.