Help with rear hatch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with rear hatch

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-18-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Laceyrww3
1996 ZJ 

Help with rear hatch

So, I had a problem with my getting my hatch door open. I read a few of the other threads and this solution worked to open the door: I have to hit unlock on the door a few times in a row and it frees up the hatch, then I have to push on the hatch while I pull the handle to open it. It takes a few times and I look stupid while I do it. My question is there a way to fix the door so it works normal. I'm not really sure why I have to do this dance every time I need to open the door... Do I need to buy a new something or WD-40 something else? Help please.

Laceyrww3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
OCDComputing
1998 ZJ 

I'm also curious about this as I have the same sort of problem. For me though, if I press on the plastic piece around the handle and then pull the handle it opens. Very annoying!
OCDComputing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
lolo415
1997 ZJ 

over a period of time those pieces wear out i took mine apart and put some little washers in and got a nice tight fit opens like a charm now
lolo415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

you could maybe adjust the striker out a little bit, but that might cause the door to rattle
Unread 07-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
OCDComputing
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo415 View Post
over a period of time those pieces wear out i took mine apart and put some little washers in and got a nice tight fit opens like a charm now
Little washers where exactly? There seems to be a few adjustable areas. I've got the back cover off right now because the rear wiper has decided to crap the bed.

Cheers,
Cameron
OCDComputing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
moldeck

There are rubber stoppers on each side. try screwing them in some so there is not as much tension on the lock itself. I just ran mine out some because the door was rattling over bumps in the road. Its a 13mm wrench.
moldeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.