Help with pulled codes 94 ZJ 4.0L - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help with pulled codes 94 ZJ 4.0L

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 05-07-2009, 10:28 AM   #1
littlefdl
1994 ZJ 

Help with pulled codes 94 ZJ 4.0L

Pulled my codes via check engine blink, code 35(idle switch motor fault) and code 42which can be A)Automatic shutdown relay circuit open or shorted B)Fuel pump relay control) C)Fuel level unit-no change over miles D)Z1 voltage missing when autoshutdown circuit engaged.

Im having two problems.1) Every once in awhile it wont start, its getting spark but wont turn over, after about 6 attempts it will turn over. 2) Maybe once a week When i come to a complete stop, then proceed to accelerate it will sputter for about 10 seconds like its running out of gas then will finally pick up.

Any help diagnosing these codes would be greatly appreciated.

littlefdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

I believe that your code 35 should be a 25 if it is to refer to idle control.

Since both of your problems seem to intermittent, it will be hard to tell exactly what to fix. However, replacing the idle air control valve, located on the throttle body, is indicated by the code 25.

A slightly more complete description of 42 is:
Quote:
An open or shorted condition detected in the auto shutdown relay circuit. An open condition detected in the ASD relay output circuit. An open or shorted condition detected in the fuel pump relay control circuit. An open circuit between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. Circuit shorted to voltage between PCM and fuel gauge sending unit. No movement of fuel level sender detected.
The ASD relay provides power to several circuits, and if it were me, I would replace that relay.
Unread 05-07-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
littlefdl
1994 ZJ 

Thx for the reply.I was leaning towards just replacing the ASD relay and the fuel pump relay. Intermittent problems are aggravating.
Unread 05-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #4
littlefdl
1994 ZJ 

Do u think its necessary to replaced the ASD and FUEL relay?? I might just be ok just replacing the ASD?
Unread 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

The output from the ASD relay supplies power for the fuel pump relay. Just do the ASD first.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.