Help a Possible Jeep buyer out? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help a Possible Jeep buyer out?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-16-2001, 07:11 PM   #1
Merc. Man

Help a Possible Jeep buyer out?

Gentlemen - it is with intrest that I read over your site. Ever since a tour last spring through bush and Lake Erie (yes, the Big lake ), I've had an itch for 4X4ing that needs to be scratched. I've always liked the Grand Cherokees over any other midsized (as compared to a fullsize truck) 4X4, but am worried about their long-term reliability. I don't mind working on my cars, as long as the projects aren't too complicated, or involve electrical. Is there any reason why getting a Grand is not a good idea for off-roading? I've seen some pics of serious off-roading on the Grand Cherokee Assn., and they look like they can take quite a bit of abuse... Driving a Marquis is great, but the rocks she can climb aren't too big ! Thanks for any suggestions - Merc.

My Daily Driver (lookalike):

Merc. Man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2001, 03:59 AM   #2
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Are you looking at a WJ or ZJ? I had a 4.7L '99 for two years, and aside from the new-componentry-glitches it was great. A friend had a '94 (I think) with the 4.0 and the only real problem they had was the air conditioning failed to hold a charge towards the end of it's life. (4 recharges in 3 years).
If I had it to do all over again I'd probably have opted for a 97 (two years old at the time, biggest depreciation hit, etc.) 5.2L so I could dump money into modifying it. There is at least two in the area with major wheeling action and they're both capable. I think they'd be great.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2001, 09:38 PM   #3
Merc. Man

Thanks for the reply - this board seems kinda slow, eh? Maybe everyones out enjoying thier Jeeps ! I'm not familiar with WJ/ZJ, but they are the different trim levels of Grand Cherokee? For sure I want 4X4, and I was told that they are not all equiped with 4 wheel drive... Due to amazingly high resale value's, I'd be looking at a 96 or older, and my insurance will kill me once they find out I've bought a Jeep - they already soak me pretty bad for with my "Grampa Car" Marquis ! So what engine choices are there? Straight 6 4.0, and a 5.2? What years were the 318? I know they are brutal on gas, but have balls on end! Also, was 93 the first year for the "Newer" body styled Grand Cherokee's? And is that a year to avoid (due to 'teething' pains), or it it essentially a carry over from the Wagoneer? Thanks - Merc.
Unread 06-19-2001, 03:29 PM   #4
horatio102
Web Wheeler

WJ = '99+ 4.0L I6 or 4.7L V8
ZJ = '93-98 4.0L I6, 5.2L (318) V8, 5.9L V8 ('98 only)
According to Carpoint (usually somewhat accurate) the 318 didn't appear until '97, but I could have sworn that they were around in 94 when my friend's dad bought his.
Are you joking about the resale value? I just sold my '99 Laredo V8, heated leather, quadra-drive, moonroof, infinity gold tape/cd, up-country, blah blah blah for $23k. Not two years ago I paid $33k plus tax, license (at the time, $750 ) and payoff of my other vehicle. I wouldn't say that's high resale.
Personally I'd stay away from the 93/94's due to the new body style glitches (most of which SHOULD be worked out by now, but you never know)
My insurance with my '99 (me=24, single, 1 single vehicle meets solid object collision, 1 comp claim) was $1200 every 6 months. Oh, that was for a '91 Civic (high theft vehicle), '99 WJ, and '01 Impreza. Now that I've sold the Jeep and Honda it's down to $900ish every six. Bah.
Unread 06-20-2001, 10:18 PM   #5
Merc. Man

Youth is a *****, eh? I just turned 22 yesterday, and have to call my insurance demanding a reduction in rates - I pay just over $3000 (Cdn.)/year for full coverage on my 92 Marquis, and Fire+Theft on my Cougar XR7. Anything newer than 97 is out of the question - that's my budget line ... I guess initial depreciation is bad - especially $5000/year , but that goes for any newer vehicle - but mid 90's Grands still command a pretty penny. I guess I'm looking for a 5.2, and I too believe they were offered before 1997 - I am not familiar with carpoint, so I won't trust'em ! I will settle for a 4.0, but now my important question is wether ALL ZJ's are 4X4? Thanks Horatio - Kevin.

BTW, enjoy the Impreza - those are neat little machines!
Unread 06-21-2001, 04:11 AM   #6
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Oh... just like the XJ you can actually get a 2wd version... poser-value package is what it's called I believe.
"Since we know most of you won't go offroad, and since we know it's cool to have a Jeep, we'll offer the 2wd version just for you cheap-o posers who want to pretend to be cool while not paying as much for insurance and maintenance."
- Taken from imaginary literature for the 2wd Jeeps, as well as the Toyota PreRunner.

Easiest way to tell is to look for the 4x4 emblem under the rear quarter windows. If it doesn't have them it's 1) been wrecked/repainted 2) 2wd, or 3) debadged. Second easiest way is to peek under the front bumper and see if there is an axle or not. Third is to look for the transfer case snorkus lever (admit it... the ZJ has a funny shaped one).

If I only had unlimited funds.... >sigh<
Unread 06-23-2001, 04:38 PM   #7
Merc. Man

Excellent - thanks man, with that info I'll be a pro in no time! I do my shopping with Autotrader, and it can be hard to see the 4X4 badge sometimes, but they are there. Now, to find a Nice 4X4 that hasn't been (badly) abused.
Unread 06-25-2001, 05:55 AM   #8
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Oh.. another great tool is carfax. Go to www.carfax.com and pay the $20 and get the 60 day (or 90, whatever it is) unlimited deal. When you run the VIN it'll tell you what engine and if it's 2wd or 4wd. It won't tell you what tranny, or anything that detailed, but at least it'll let you know what you're looking at.
I hope Canada does the carfax stuff too. I know on a couple of Jeeps I looked at the first thing pulled up was a Canadian certificate or something.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.