Help Please Trac bar Fixed? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Hunterdan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Help Please Trac bar Fixed?

I helped my mechanic install a new trac bar in my AWD 94 GC. I had the ball end installed and axle end bolted loosely. He welded in some bushings where holes were wollered. He then tried to install bolt but bushing end was not close enough to the mount. He got out a come-along and hooked one end in the TB lower mount area and then searched for a place to hook on drivers side. He ended up hooking it to the sway bar near the bend. He cranked the trac bar into alignment with the mount holes and installed bolt. I told him I thought bolt should be at 55-60LBS and he just kept tightening it while in the air on rack with a regular ratchet. He's one of those don't tell me anything fellas.

Now I have no death wobble but my steering feels different... When making left turns especially, it feels bound and there is more power steering whine. Also I believe I now feel a bad driveshaft clunk when getting on and letting off gas.

Did he/we just throw off everything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-09-2012, 07:59 PM
iser
1997 ZJ 

i would re-torque everything by myself. investing in a nice torque wrench was one of the best investments i've made.

what is it with all these "mechanics" that impact all the bolts? all my 'expert' friends do the same and it pisses me off. i don't care if you've been playing with cars for 20 years; i studied meche for two years and you cannot tell me that over or under torquing doesn't matter, especially on a 15 year old car.

- REST IN PEACE, RATMONKEY -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Specs- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
Upcoming Projects- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"
- gen. george patton
post #3 of 13 Old 09-09-2012, 08:09 PM
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I don't see where he used an impact.

Trackbar should be torqued to around 125' lbs while the Jeep is on the ground. To get it to line up correctly you should have the axle side disconnected and turn the steering wheel to get it lined up.

post #4 of 13 Old 09-09-2012, 10:20 PM
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

From what i have been learning in my auto classes you never use an impact unless loosening something... If i ever take my car in to a shop i always tell the tech not to tighten my lugs with an impact. Ive learned a trick with a torque wrench that is just as fast as using an impact

ZJ Build thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
post #5 of 13 Old 09-09-2012, 10:34 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

All you have to do to get the track bar to line up is turn the steering wheel. It will move the body over the axle when the track bar is disconnected. Then you just put the bolt in. Two people make it really easy. Your mech is kind of dumb. Before I do that I like to bounce and pull the ZJ and let it settle where it like to be naturally. Then I adjust the track bar and button it all up.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
iser
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbo1Kanerbo View Post
Ive learned a trick with a torque wrench that is just as fast as using an impact
what is it!

- REST IN PEACE, RATMONKEY -

Specs- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
Upcoming Projects- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"
- gen. george patton
post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 12:02 AM
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbo1Kanerbo View Post
Ive learned a trick with a torque wrench that is just as fast as using an impact
post #8 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Hunterdan
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advice. Here's some related questions

1)How many pounds at trac bars axle end? 55,120... The bolt is a M10 10.9? How many pounds at tie rod end?

2) Could the come-along have thrown something else out causing some steering issues?
post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2012, 07:24 AM
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Axle end = 55 ft. lbs.
Ball stud nut = 60 ft. lbs. (don't forget the cotter pin)

Use Polka's tip for "settling" the front end first.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Erbo1Kanerbo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well its just as fast if i start the lugs fingertight then torque it. But you take the torque wrench and hold it paralell to the centerline of the wheel and you dont have to apply alot of force to get it to click at 120 ft/lbs. my teacher did a demo and he was just as fast as a tech with an impact

ZJ Build thread:

ZJ's: If you dont know what it is you cant afford it.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-15-2012, 12:02 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Mine is torqued to gorilla.
post #12 of 13 Old 09-15-2012, 06:29 AM
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Mine is torqued to gorilla.
Mine too . Torquing to spec gave me clunks . Putting a lot more force got rid of the clunk . Then again , I have upgraded all the bolts as well . Stock bolts are not the best .
post #13 of 13 Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

What got rid of my steering clunk is adjusting the bearing pre load on the steering box and adding new fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.