Help! Please tell me how bad I screwed this up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help! Please tell me how bad I screwed this up.

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer PurchaseFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
diamondflaw
1993 ZJ 

Help! Please tell me how bad I screwed this up.

So, since it is (finally) heating up here, I noticed that the AC on my '93 4.0 is, well... not. I searched the threads and found a few suggestions and after poking around some found that where the low side metal tube enters a coupling that passes through the firewall, it had popped out..... in my sleep deprived state, I pushed it back in... and it re-engaged solidly... however after later trying to add refrigerant I noticed the problem.

I assume there was supposed to be a seal, o-ring, whatever that sealed the interface between that pipe and the coupling because now anytime there is any amount of pressure in the system it comes rushing out around that fitting... and I now can't seem to dislodge the pipe again to see what I can see.

So, here's the pair of questions... how bad did I screw it up and how do I fix it. Despite this boneheaded move, I am actually quite mechanically capable and confident doing most any fix if I have clear direction.

I have tried searching the threads without avail, but if you find something that I missed that answers this, please feel free to just link me there, but you guys are my only hope as come August I'm doing a 4k mile road trip crossing Utah and if I don't have AC by then my wife will leave me for the buzzards.

diamondflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
a70eliminator

You just need a new o-ring or actually there are dual orings on the pipe connection, to seperate you'll need the tool, get one at auto store for about 5 bucks for the whole set, they will know what you need just ask.
a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:39 PM   #3
Afdude88
1993 ZJ 

There is supposed to be a metal clip holding the two lips of that joint together. If it's missing I would get one before trying to recharge the system again. The lines still shouldn't just pull apart though. After replace the o-rings make sure the line click together and won't come apart by just pulling. then out the clip on.

Dana 35c behind a 242, behind an AW-4, behind a 4.0L Inline Six sitting over a Dana 30, all turning stock 215/75/15 tires and moving a 93 Grand Cherokee to places your truck only dreams of.
Afdude88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

That connection uses a springlock fitting so you'll need a springlock tool to disengage the connector. Most parts stores sell the tools as a set for a few dollars. You'll probably need a new o-ring for the male end and if it popped off it's probably a good idea to replace the spring in the springlock. Most parts places will sell you an o-ring kit for your vehicle that includes the springs for under $30. If it has been sitting open for awhile though you will need to replace the drier and have the system evacuated before you refill it. Since you will be buying an o-ring kit and the tools you might as well replace all the o-rings while you have it open. They are easy to locate and replace. Since you don't know how that fitting came apart you don't know how much oil it took with it so you should pull the compressor and drain the oil and refill the system with the proper amount.

Those springlock fittings came from the factory with little steel cages that help take some of the strain from the fitting. If you are missing one or two you can and should grab them at a junkyard.

Or you could just slap a new o-ring in there and squirt in some R-134A. It'll probably cool but you won't know what damage is being done until it's too late.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.