Help please! no power , check engine light blinking under hard accel! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help please! no power , check engine light blinking under hard accel!

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while suppliePremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:44 AM   #31
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Not sure on the 5.9 but on the 4.0 you can just loosen the nuts at the header flange and let the exhaust hang a bit. Take it for a short test drive and if your power comes back it's probably the cat. The three bad cats I've seen were all sudden failures. One melt down on a GM car and two Jeeps where the front honeycomb fell apart and lodged against the rear catalyst. Welded in universal cats; one has about three years on it and the other about two with no additional failures.

zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #32
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

You can also drill a few half inch relief holes in the fwd convertor flange to test. Of course, be prepared to weld them back up if it's not the problem
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #33
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

If you have a welder and the skill to use it it's easier to cut the pipe in front of the cat to inspect the catalyst and reweld it than to try and fill 1/2" holes with weld. If the cat is plugged you're going to have to cut it out anyway.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
Rodney88
1998 ZJ 

Once i get a chance to get to the muffler shop im going to throw a new exhaust on it, and replace the cat, the cat was rattling really bad, not any more however, witch makes me suspect the cat is damaged and/or clogged. I did not go through any water with the jeep so i guess that's out of the question. The same thing happened on another vehicle of mine, (same symptoms as my jeep, and it was a clogged cat.) Im also going to look into the misfire, as i need to give the 5.9 a tune up any ways, ill keep you guys posted when i have more info. Thanks for the help!
Rodney88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:10 AM   #35
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

A plugged cat will cause a misfire. Fix the exhaust first then see what else is going on.
Doesn't need to be water to damage the cat, I rarely see that happen, But often see damage from rocks and stumps

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 10:04 AM   #36
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If you're going to replace the whole exhaust think I'd be doing it myself instead of going to some rip-off muffler shop. It's easy enough to remove the whole exhaust with just 2-3 cuts of a sawz-all or a torch if you have one. Then you can buy the higher quality parts you want depending on the sound/flow you're looking for. Plenty of threads around here on exhausts. If you want it welded together then clamp it temporarily and take it to a shop or better yet find a friend with a welder. You'll still be saving $ and be much happier with a higher quality exhaust. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #37
jnowak
1993 ZJ 

Any news or progress
jnowak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 04:32 PM   #38
Rodney88
1998 ZJ 

Yes, took it to the exhaust shop today, picking it up in a couple hours. The guy at the exhaust shop within 2 mins said the cat was bad, so i put a aftermarket muffler and a new cat on. Ill be driving it shortly, so I am pretty sure the cat failed. Sorry for the late reply, the jeep is not my daily driver. If the cat is not the problem I will let you guys know!
Unread 04-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #39
Rodney88
1998 ZJ 

ok, so the cat was indeed the problem, the thing runs great now. The exhaust is not bad either Thanks for the help again guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.