Help Please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help Please

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 07-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

Help Please

Ok so ive been snooping around kevinsoffroad.com and ive been looking for jeep lift setups and all that good stuff.....
Im pretty new to all of this, i bought my jeep in the second week of july. Its all stock, the only thing ive upgraded is my stereo....and thats bumping. Well tonight me and some friends wanted to test it out and we took it up to a local like hill/mountain thing haha yeah it was lame but we got high centered on a ditch/hill thing and we decided a lift kit, or rock sliderz, or skid plates were necesary so this doesnt happen next time...
All im trying to figure out is if someone can diagnose what type of lift is in this pic...http://kevinsoffroad.com/clubpages/c...avidbruce2.jpg...cause this is kind of what i want my jeep to look like, and what i want it to be capable of.
Thanks....

BigItalianBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 01:57 AM   #2
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigItalianBeast
Ok so ive been snooping around kevinsoffroad.com and ive been looking for jeep lift setups and all that good stuff.....
Im pretty new to all of this, i bought my jeep in the second week of july. Its all stock, the only thing ive upgraded is my stereo....and thats bumping. Well tonight me and some friends wanted to test it out and we took it up to a local like hill/mountain thing haha yeah it was lame but we got high centered on a ditch/hill thing and we decided a lift kit, or rock sliderz, or skid plates were necesary so this doesnt happen next time...
All im trying to figure out is if someone can diagnose what type of lift is in this pic...http://kevinsoffroad.com/clubpages/c...avidbruce2.jpg...cause this is kind of what i want my jeep to look like, and what i want it to be capable of.
Thanks....

If I remember right that is a 6" lift with 35" tires. With what you intend to do, it would probably make more sense to go with a 4" lift and 32" tires.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
RobertTF
2001 WJ 

What is your budget? I believe he is running Clayton's LA system with 4" springs with a 2" bb on top of that plus everything else to support his setup. You should check out Kevin's 4" kit to start with and get yourself some rock rails.
RobertTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

lets say i have no budget....
what should i buy first?
-Tires
-Lift
-Rails
-Skidz
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:44 AM   #5
RobertTF
2001 WJ 

Why not all at once? Lift and tires should be done at the same time imo.
RobertTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:48 AM   #6
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

all at once sounds good to me...
i have no idea where to start though
and i can almost gaurantee i wont be installing by me self....im more electronically savy.
what lift, what tires, what rims, what shocks, what skidz? HELP!
Im reallly new haha
and ive already blown 700 at the jeep dealer for fixing my window motor and tailgate actuator....
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:49 AM   #7
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
lets say i have no budget....
what should i buy first?
-Tires
-Lift
-Rails
-Skidz
Lift and tires together for sure. Rails are for real offroading, along with the skids so get thme when you start to actually offroad alot.

Claytons 6" kit is about $2500, round up to $3000 when you get done with driveshafts and so on.

Your front differential is a Dana 30 (D30) your rear is either a Dana 35 (D35) or Dana 44 Aluminum (D44a). 33" tires are usually the maximum size recomended if your running the 30/44a combo, but I have heard with an open (not locked) 30 in front and a light right foot you can run 35"s reasonably. If you have the Dana 35 it is much weaker than the 44a and wil be your weak point instead of the front axle.

Tires will set you back 600-$1000 for 5, depending on brand and so on.

Running larger tires you will most likely need and want different rims with less backspacing, which will go from $250 on up for 5.

Rock Rails and skid plates are basically a necessity for offroading and will bring another $400-500 to it.

At this point you are at $4500 or so, and there is still much more you can do (drivetrain strength wise) so you have to really be ready to go all out of thats what you want to do.
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:55 AM   #8
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

where can i find the lift for the best price?
Wherecan i get it installed?

Thanks for all your help
Unread 07-06-2006, 02:56 AM   #9
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
where can i find the lift for the best price?
Wherecan i get it installed?

Thanks for all your help
claytonoffroad.com is the only supplier of his brand lifts, you can probably get it installed at a local offroad shop if you can fine one.
Unread 07-06-2006, 03:04 AM   #10
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

what tires and stuff are you running?
Unread 07-06-2006, 03:07 AM   #11
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

I want the 6'' lift package, not the 4 link long arm suspension...right?
Unread 07-06-2006, 03:12 AM   #12
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

the 6" lift package IS the 4 link long arm suspension, but it also includes the shocks, springs, disconnects, and track bar that the 4 link doesnt.

I'm running 285/75R16 (33") Goodyear MTR's
Unread 07-06-2006, 03:18 AM   #13
BigItalianBeast
1999 WJ 

see.....thats how new i am to this haha or im partiallyt retarded from concussions.... thanks for all the help big guy.
Unread 07-06-2006, 03:25 AM   #14
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

Quote:
see.....thats how new i am to this haha or im partiallyt retarded from concussions.... thanks for all the help big guy.
Hey no problem man Glad to help.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.