Help out a newbie..Very rough start and sitting/idling question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help out a newbie..Very rough start and sitting/idling question

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Rear Leaf Spring (4 Leaf) Pair1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Unread 09-12-2004, 02:03 PM   #1
mr_user

Help out a newbie..Very rough start and sitting/idling question

I recently bought a '96 Grand Cherokee with only 45K miles on it..It sat a lot with the previous owner. Until November when I can get my license and have it registered it is pretty much just going to hang out in the garage. Anyways, every day i try to let it idle for 10-15 minutes. When I go to start it in the morning, the thing will crank for a good 6-8 seconds before it fires up. Once it's started it runs very nicely; smooth idle, smooth revs everything...Is this start hesitation normal or is it from prolonged periods of idling/sitting in the Jeep's life. Do I need to replace the fuel pump or anything like that? Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

mr_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
mr_user

Sorry, it is the 4.0L...It does have a battery problem and I've had to jump it twice in the past 3 weeks..Someone said that a faulty battery can alter the fuel pump sensor resulting in less fuel pressure..Is this a legitimate explanation?
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:06 PM   #3
akshunj

Whoever told you about a "fuel pump sensor", I wouldn't take much more advice from them. Most of the fuel system operates independantly of the car's computer.

For hard to start issues check the obvious things like the contacts on the starter and the battery terminals. Are they all nice and clean? Give them a liberal coating of dielectric grease in the future to prevent corrosion.

The dead battery is suspicious too. How old is it? It might just be worth your while to replace it so it doesn't strand you in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfelner
Sorry, it is the 4.0L...It does have a battery problem and I've had to jump it twice in the past 3 weeks..Someone said that a faulty battery can alter the fuel pump sensor resulting in less fuel pressure..Is this a legitimate explanation?
akshunj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2004, 08:28 PM   #4
mr_user

Yea, the battery is original so it's about 8 years old. The starter cranks strongly so i don't think it's the battery...anything else to watch for? It's most likely not the fuel pump?
Unread 09-13-2004, 07:57 AM   #5
greasefingers
1994 ZJ 

No matter what the problem is; you must buy a new battery.

94 Black Laredo 4-Liter with QuadraTrac (42RE trans & NP249 TC) 200,000 + miles purchased new

88 Cherokee 2-door with 5speed manual 139K miles(deceased) purchased new
greasefingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.