Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Help/opinions on custom long arm build!!

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  cwick13 
#1 ·
I'm mike and new to the forum so I want to be respectful to everyone's opinions and forgive me if I do or say something wrong or if I posted in the wrong area

Basically I am looking for dimensions, general knowledge or advice to assist me with the build . I've seen forums in which members were doubting the capability of the guy wanting to fabricate, that's not what i am here for. Between my knowledge as well as my fathers expertise in fabrication and our shop I know we can build this .

My shop consists of a very decent sized 5ft tall mill with digital readouts on all axis. A 4ft lathe without digital readout but I could set it up . A custom made 10x10 x,y,z plasma table. A huge supply/connection of carbon Steel stainless steel and any other metals or bushings/bearings I need . As well as the basics like mig and tig welders and a small powder coat set up.

I am wanting to build anywhere from a 4.5-6.0in long arm suspension lift with a 4 link rear end set up . Possibly a 3 link also . I can't find any info for the life of me and it would be spectacular if I could find someone who has dimensions and possibly CAD files I could pop right into my plasma cam computer

If I can't find the info on the long arm build I will also settle for a 4.5 short arm custom build .

Thanks,
Mike

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like your more than capable of the fabrication, now you need to learn/figure the geometry involved. Pirate4x4 would be the place to start reading, follow Polka's advice on the search and add Pirate in search terms.

Good luck.. keep us updated.

I'm not capable of the fabrication right now so I bought Clayton's kit..

#4 ·
You'll need at least 5" of lift for the front three link to clear.
I can compile a list as I am wrapping up my 3link front/double triangulated rear build.
I found generic tabs cut to fit to be the best solution for link tabs
You will need to draw up some plates for stitch welding to the unibody at the link mounts
Your torch mate will come in handy more than anything.

Also need to know purpose......street? Wheeler?trailer Queen?
http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?5878-Unibody-Welding-Bible

#5 ·
Thanks for the support I've been online searching and have found a few guys modifying their existing control arms for an off road rig . I've heard of pirate4x4 so today I'm going to sit down and do a little digging on the site.

Speed bucket I am going for a daily driver still but can kick @ss on the trails. I would like to stay under 6inches of lift also. If you could, send me whatever dimensions you have and advice. It looks like your rig is coming together Nicely! I'm looking forward to getting into the fab stage of this project so I can be done with the geometry and measurements part lol

#6 ·
Here are my link numbers but my long arms are looooooong....
Front

Rear

If you use the link calculator you can open the materials tab and see your link length and whatnot.
My suspension is over kill for what I'm doing but with longer links I kept it stout. All of my links upper and lowers are 2" .250 wall Dom. Factory rubber at the axles and heims at the frame...

#8 ·
I built my long arms for a daily driver on over 7"of lift. I also accomidated a high pinion cad xj housing with super 30 guts. But i also built on a brand new alignment machine. And if i had access yo that gear i would have said lets gooooo... I have built 8 systems just like since after letting them drive mine... I got 12,000 miles on mick thom Atz tires and still have almost 90% life left. I have done the research and i know what works and what does for which ever direction your build would go... I have develeped and researched for yeeeeeears.. Yes most ppl do that backwards but Im stubborn.. And i love to prove ppl wrong...

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.