Help no idea - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help no idea

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
marriedjeep

Help no idea

NO reverse forward in neutral i droped the pan saw small amount of copper flakes and sludge around the magnit how do i resolve this problem super cheap im broke no job and now no ride. please help any ideas as to what to do.

marriedjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #2
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Does it reverse in park? Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
onevision
1998 ZJ 

Yeah, I'd check the cable connected to your trans. If it looks okay, then disconnect it and see if you can manually set it into park. Having your trans fluid level way off can also cause that.

You say you found copper in your pan? There shouldn't be any copper parts on your trans - at least none that I can think of.
onevision is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
marriedjeep

it looked like tiny copper flakes and sludge.It does go into park. i looked at the linkage but cant figuer out how to unhook it. I see there is a spring there but i dont see where the linkage is conected.
Unread 07-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
onevision
1998 ZJ 

Actually the cable with the spring is the wrong one. That one just tells the transmission where the throttle position is. You want the main thick cable, although they both go to basically the same place. Either way both connectors just pop off. Pull on the very end piece (like a plastic square) directly upward. It just snaps back on. It will be hooked directly to one of two levers, which this will be the lower or bottom one.

Can't think of anything in the valve body or transmission gears that would be brass or copper, other than a couple connectors or maybe the vent tube. Lets see what works and what doesn't first, the we can figure what the metal chunks are. Check if each hear position works or not. This basically bypasses the shifter, to eliminate it as a problem.
Unread 07-31-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
marriedjeep

so my step dad says it sounds like the shift forks are bent or is bent how do i check that? im about to crawl under the beast now and check that linkage out i will keep u updated in 20 min or so.
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:11 AM   #7
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

If you cant get it figured out go see Tim Moye out in Lutz he is awesome!

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:32 AM   #8
marriedjeep

ok so i checked the linkage it seemed fine i can manually shift the gears on the tranny it seems to maybe have some play between drive and neutral. Im stumped. dont really know what im doing when it comes to the linkage or tranny. all i know is i have to get this fixed asap and super cheap like cause at the moment no jeep means no work and im expecting my first child in three weeks. im so stressed over this Thank You to all whose trying to help me on this forum.
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:28 AM   #9
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onevision View Post
Yeah, I'd check the cable connected to your trans. If it looks okay, then disconnect it and see if you can manually set it into park. Having your trans fluid level way off can also cause that.

You say you found copper in your pan? There shouldn't be any copper parts on your trans - at least none that I can think of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by onevision View Post
Actually the cable with the spring is the wrong one. That one just tells the transmission where the throttle position is. You want the main thick cable, although they both go to basically the same place. Either way both connectors just pop off. Pull on the very end piece (like a plastic square) directly upward. It just snaps back on. It will be hooked directly to one of two levers, which this will be the lower or bottom one.

Can't think of anything in the valve body or transmission gears that would be brass or copper, other than a couple connectors or maybe the vent tube. Lets see what works and what doesn't first, the we can figure what the metal chunks are. Check if each hear position works or not. This basically bypasses the shifter, to eliminate it as a problem.
There are thrust washers and bushings in the trans. When they wear enough to shed flakes it is a sign of major wear on the hard parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedjeep View Post
so my step dad says it sounds like the shift forks are bent or is bent how do i check that? im about to crawl under the beast now and check that linkage out i will keep u updated in 20 min or so.
no shift forks in an auto.

The fact that it still goes into park and you can start it in park means the linkage is fine and you have internal mechanical failure.

Car-part.com to find salvage yards near you with the parts.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
davidcombs_03
1997 ZJ 

Best of Luck!
davidcombs_03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM   #11
marriedjeep

Thanks
Unread 07-31-2011, 05:45 PM   #12
onevision
1998 ZJ 

So let me make sure I understand the problem. You have no reverse when using your shifter inside, but it all works fine when you manually move the lever on the trans. Is that correct?

The transmission has one thrust washer, which comes in varying thickness and is used to set the end play spacing. It's very unlikely the metal is from that. The 42/44/46 RE transmissions are all hydraulically controlled. Reverse failure is usually the result of misadjusted or damaged linkage, but can also be from your park sprag sticking, or valve body failure, or rear servo failure, or burnt front clutch.

Beware of getting parts from salvage yards for transmissions. Sure they claim it's only got xxx miles on it and it works great guaranteed. You can pick one up for around $600 and you have about a 30% chance it will work, and can take it back for a refund if it doesn't. Of course that's only after spending 8-12 hours checking it. I went through 3 before I found one that worked, and it probably only worked because I rebuilt it. Swapping a trans is no small task. Lol
Unread 08-01-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

He hasn't taken the linkage off the lever yet.

Park is park
Reverse is nothing
Neutral is forward

Try starting the jeep with the lever in neutral.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
onevision
1998 ZJ 

Are you able to start it? I'm assuming yes, since neutral is drive, but do the other drive ranges (2, 1) work as they should? They only thing that will really change things so that your shifter is not what the transmission is really in, is the gearshift linkage cable. This is why I would say to check each position of the transmission by disconnecting the cable and run your Jeep in each position. This will take two people to do, as one person will need to have their foot on the brake, while the other changes to the next gear by manually moving the switch. There are like 10 possible causes covering a wide range of parts, and knowing what does and doesn't work will help eliminate like 7-8 of those
Unread 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #15
marriedjeep

IT starts fine in park and neutral. i didnt manually run the jeep cause its just me workn on it by my lonesome. i changed the filter today and put new fluid in thinkng that would help and of course it did not. The trans is A 46 RH. when i droped the pan for the most part everything looked pretty decent in side it.
Starts in park. Starts in neutral. Drive, 1 and 2 all work fine. Overdrive works when engaged. Reverse feels like park neutral moves forward. I cant push the jeep back of forward when in neutral unless i disengage the transfer case. I hope this helps define the situation a bit more.

Tags
reverse , shift linkage , tranny problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.