HELP!! New Jeep Buyer! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > HELP!! New Jeep Buyer!

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-03-2003, 04:44 PM   #1
Rooster77

HELP!! New Jeep Buyer!

Hi there everyone. My wife and I are looking to trade in our 97 F150 Ext. Flareside 4.6L V8 truck and get into an SUV. We don't tow, we do a lot of highway driving and well mostly my wife will be trucking around with our 20 year old daughter.
Here is what we have narrowed our choices to:

1) 2000 Ford Explorer limited with the 5.0L V8
2) 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 4.0L V6

What is everyone's opinion? I really want to hear? When looking at the jeeps is there anyone better the 4.0V6 or the 4.7L V8?? Why?
What else should I be looking for in a Jeep!

Thanks Eh!

Rooster77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 04:45 PM   #2
Rooster77

Oh ya, sorry the Jeeps we have been looking at are the Limited as well!
Unread 09-03-2003, 04:55 PM   #3
sniperjim10

Buy the jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster77
Oh ya, sorry the Jeeps we have been looking at are the Limited as well!

Buy the jeep i've got a couple buddies with over 200000 miles on their's. Just watch the maintenance and check the exhaust manifolds for cracks and good luck on your choice. Just my $.02
sniperjim10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
Stocker

I preferred the handling of the Jeep to that of the Exploder, as well as appearance etc - although that was in older models, but I still prefer Jeeps to Fords.

The 4.0L is an I6, not a V6. It should get a bit better mpg than the V8, but the V8 makes better power, which may not matter if you don't tow. Both are great engines and should last a couple hundred thousand miles with reasonable maintenance.

Give 'em both a thorough test drive & see what you think.
Unread 09-04-2003, 05:45 AM   #5
Rooster77

Thanks for the input....my gut feel is that the Jeep is a much better built vehicle than the ford and will have a much better reliability track record. Right now it is like this....My wife likes the Exploder and I like the Jeep...lol....lets see who wins....lol
I just need to convince her that the jeep benefits out-weigh the Ford.
Unread 09-04-2003, 09:28 AM   #6
techie

Check out the average depreciation for each. I may be wrong, but I believe the Exploder will depreciate quicker than the GC.
The Jeep may cost a little more now for comparable 'features' but it will maintain its value down the road a lot better than the Ford. You can use that to convince your wife.
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2003, 03:07 PM   #7
streetenforcer

I too was down to the Explorer and the Grand Cherokee 2004 Models and after extensive research and questioning of Jeep and Ford Owners I chose the Jeep and made the right decision. The jeep is a bit pricier but the features far exceed the Ford and knowing a person that works for Ford theres a reason why they call it the EXPLODER. Even he who works on them day in and day out would never buy one. There are alot of problems with them down the road Dont be drawn to the price or looks of the exploder I almost made that mistake also..
streetenforcer is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.