help with new head unit please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > help with new head unit please

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-29-2010, 06:38 PM   #1
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

help with new head unit please

i bought a new head unit for my zj and i dont know which wires go to which speakers. i cant find a wiring diagram for it either. can anyone help?

Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #2
sands99
1995 ZJ 

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1222.html
sands99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

ok so the unit gets power and everything and the power antenna goes up and down but it wont play any music. do i have wires hooked up incorrectly?
Unread 12-30-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
ssands85
1995 ZJ 

Most factory chrysler head units from the 90's already have a wireing label sticker on them..... tells you which wire in the plug goes to what. Of course that only helps if you had a stock radio to begin with.....
ssands85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 09:42 AM   #5
melk
1996 ZJ 

That 12volt site is nice... Thanks for the link. I'll be putting a new HU in my 96 in the next few months.

Does having the Infinity system affect choice in HU? Due to it using a different amount of Ohm resistance?
melk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #6
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

ok but what does it mean when the hu gets power but doesnt play anything? i tested all of the connections with a voltmeter and they're all good.
Unread 12-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

The infinity amp that is under your rear seat requires both power AND ground connections to be made behind your head unit. The reason is to prevent ground loop problems (noise and hum) from entering the system. Make sure you have the remote power lead from the amp connected to the remote trigger wire from your new head unit (not the power antenna lead) but the remote trigger lead. Also make sure the neg wire that was clipped to the back of your factory infinity stereo is now connected to both the ground of your new deck as well as earth (dash) ground. That should get the music flowin in your jeep!!
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

well i am going to buy an amp to power a sub so is there a way to bypass the factory amp?
Unread 12-30-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
shocklee17
1998 ZJ 

Heres the wiring for the stock amp.
95zj_8f.jpg  
shocklee17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

ok i got it to work. thanks a lot i really appreciate it.
Unread 01-20-2011, 01:25 AM   #11
Darman
1995 ZJ 

ok i need help with this. i hooked up my new deck and it powers up and everything. it tells me its putting out audio from a visualizer but my speakers produce no sounds. my previous dash deck didnt work either (no sound from speakers) i have the infinity gold system and the only wires ive hooked up are from the original wiring harness. the grey and black ones
Darman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2011, 10:17 PM   #12
Darman
1995 ZJ 

ok i got it working!i didnt have to bypass the amp or anything like that. i really made it more difficult then it needed to be. on my old factory stereo there was the wiring diagram and i double checked my wiring with it today. i found i had mixed up 2 of the wires and run the antenna to a speaker. so now my radio works, antenna goes up and down, however my deck wont play my ipod when its connected to the usb or the aux port. the visualizer works when i have it connected to the usb or aux, however the visualizer also worked on radio when i had my antenna hook up to a speaker.
any ideas? it puts out sounds on radio only. not cd, aux or usb
Unread 07-09-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
ok i got it working!i didnt have to bypass the amp or anything like that. i really made it more difficult then it needed to be. on my old factory stereo there was the wiring diagram and i double checked my wiring with it today. i found i had mixed up 2 of the wires and run the antenna to a speaker. so now my radio works, antenna goes up and down, however my deck wont play my ipod when its connected to the usb or the aux port. the visualizer works when i have it connected to the usb or aux, however the visualizer also worked on radio when i had my antenna hook up to a speaker.
any ideas? it puts out sounds on radio only. not cd, aux or usb
Darman, did you ever get this figured out? I've got the exact same problems with my spanking new Pioneer HU w/ Ipod control. I only have radio, nothing else.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #14
Darman
1995 ZJ 

ya
Easy fix, I changed my Antenna wire to my Amp signal wire and it works fine now
Unread 07-10-2011, 03:33 PM   #15
blackjack12982
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darman View Post
ya
Easy fix, I changed my Antenna wire to my Amp signal wire and it works fine now
Gotcha!

I finally figured out my problem late last night after monkeying with it for quite a few hours.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/...ights-2342649/
blackjack12982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.