JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   help with new head unit please (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/help-new-head-unit-please-1146841/)

Freestyle713 12-29-2010 05:38 PM

help with new head unit please

i bought a new head unit for my zj and i dont know which wires go to which speakers. i cant find a wiring diagram for it either. can anyone help?

sands99 12-29-2010 07:56 PM

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1222.html

Freestyle713 12-29-2010 08:36 PM

ok so the unit gets power and everything and the power antenna goes up and down but it wont play any music. do i have wires hooked up incorrectly?

ssands85 12-30-2010 08:20 AM

Most factory chrysler head units from the 90's already have a wireing label sticker on them..... tells you which wire in the plug goes to what. Of course that only helps if you had a stock radio to begin with.....

melk 12-30-2010 08:42 AM

That 12volt site is nice... Thanks for the link. I'll be putting a new HU in my 96 in the next few months.

Does having the Infinity system affect choice in HU? Due to it using a different amount of Ohm resistance?

Freestyle713 12-30-2010 10:21 AM

ok but what does it mean when the hu gets power but doesnt play anything? i tested all of the connections with a voltmeter and they're all good.

Canyon411 12-30-2010 10:30 AM

The infinity amp that is under your rear seat requires both power AND ground connections to be made behind your head unit. The reason is to prevent ground loop problems (noise and hum) from entering the system. Make sure you have the remote power lead from the amp connected to the remote trigger wire from your new head unit (not the power antenna lead) but the remote trigger lead. Also make sure the neg wire that was clipped to the back of your factory infinity stereo is now connected to both the ground of your new deck as well as earth (dash) ground. That should get the music flowin in your jeep!!

Freestyle713 12-30-2010 11:26 AM

well i am going to buy an amp to power a sub so is there a way to bypass the factory amp?

shocklee17 12-30-2010 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres the wiring for the stock amp.

Freestyle713 12-30-2010 06:00 PM

ok i got it to work. thanks a lot i really appreciate it.

Darman 01-20-2011 12:25 AM

ok i need help with this. i hooked up my new deck and it powers up and everything. it tells me its putting out audio from a visualizer but my speakers produce no sounds. my previous dash deck didnt work either (no sound from speakers) i have the infinity gold system and the only wires ive hooked up are from the original wiring harness. the grey and black ones

Darman 01-20-2011 09:17 PM

ok i got it working!i didnt have to bypass the amp or anything like that. i really made it more difficult then it needed to be. on my old factory stereo there was the wiring diagram and i double checked my wiring with it today. i found i had mixed up 2 of the wires and run the antenna to a speaker. so now my radio works, antenna goes up and down, however my deck wont play my ipod when its connected to the usb or the aux port. the visualizer works when i have it connected to the usb or aux, however the visualizer also worked on radio when i had my antenna hook up to a speaker.
any ideas? it puts out sounds on radio only. not cd, aux or usb

blackjack12982 07-09-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darman (Post 10824746)
ok i got it working!i didnt have to bypass the amp or anything like that. i really made it more difficult then it needed to be. on my old factory stereo there was the wiring diagram and i double checked my wiring with it today. i found i had mixed up 2 of the wires and run the antenna to a speaker. so now my radio works, antenna goes up and down, however my deck wont play my ipod when its connected to the usb or the aux port. the visualizer works when i have it connected to the usb or aux, however the visualizer also worked on radio when i had my antenna hook up to a speaker.
any ideas? it puts out sounds on radio only. not cd, aux or usb

Darman, did you ever get this figured out? I've got the exact same problems with my spanking new Pioneer HU w/ Ipod control. I only have radio, nothing else.

Darman 07-10-2011 02:32 PM

ya
Easy fix, I changed my Antenna wire to my Amp signal wire and it works fine now

blackjack12982 07-10-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darman (Post 11835257)
ya
Easy fix, I changed my Antenna wire to my Amp signal wire and it works fine now

Gotcha!

I finally figured out my problem late last night after monkeying with it for quite a few hours.

The time now is 01:21 PM.