Help needed with my ZJ 42re Trannsmission - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help needed with my ZJ 42re Trannsmission

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 12-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
Drumint

Help needed with my ZJ 42re Trannsmission

It(42re in reverse) just started to make grinding noises, and I'm in dire need of some suggestions as to rebuild or just buy one from a local jy. I'm in Mcdonough Ga and don't know of any good 4x4 shops or transmission shops around here neither. If anyone could help shoot me a message .

Drumint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Depending on how urgent you need the truck back on wheels, I'd suggest you either swap in a junkyard unit and rebuild yours in the meantime (if its urgent), or pull yours and have it rebuilt, dont rush it - took me about two weekends.

Pulling it isnt too hard, but something like a garage with a concrete floor is almost a must. Also, consider getting/building a transmission jack, makes things heaps easier, especially if you're by yourself.

Putting it back isnt too hard but takes a lot of patience.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #3
JeepinJonesZJ
1997 ZJ 

Got my remanufactured tranny with upgraded shafts and a bunch of other goodies installed otd for 1200. Came with a 3 year unlimited mile warranty too no questions asked! You could do it cheaper but now my tranny can handle anything.
JeepinJonesZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.