Help needed ASAP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Help needed ASAP

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Help needed ASAP

Looking at a 1996 GC Laredo for my son. I tried to check out everything very well but a couple of issue came up that I'm hoping aren't deal breakers because the car is really clean and has only had two owners (this guy and his father). Here's the questions.

Any idea how much to change out the valve cover gasket? Looks to have some oil leaking around it.

How about the rear main seal? Not sure if the oil I saw was coming from the seal or dripped down from valve cover.

I tested out the 4wd and everything seemed fine except that it didn't seem to be coming out of 4wd after putting in 4lo for a few seconds to verify it was working. It doesn't seem stuck in 4lo but in part time. When you take it out the light goes out but when you drive around it still feels like it's engaged.

Want to make a decision early in the day before other people get the jump on me

Unread 04-04-2013, 10:37 PM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Since you said valve cover gasket and not gaskets, I assume its a 4.0 I6? The valve cover gasket is no big deal, taking your time and with basic hand tools you can do the job in 1-2 hours (taking your time). Even a V8, they are not a big pain either, just takes a little more time.

Rear main seal is on either engine is not overly complicated either, just a little time consuming. I would do a search for write-ups and/or get a manual. Plan this job for a weekend so you dont feel too rushed and mess something up. Use quality gaskets and be real clean (same for V/C gskt).

Do the valve cover gasket first to see if oil is not just dripping down the back of eng. Other leak areas which could run down the oil pan to the rear are the oil filter adapter o-rings and oil pressure sending unit, make sure those are leaking.

The 4wd concern is probably normal, is can take a brief period to disengage 4wd if the driveline has a little bind in it.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Yes 4.0 engine, sorry.

Thanks for the informative and quick response. I love the Jeep community. The guy did say he hardly used 4wd in the few years he's had it. Carfax confirmed ownership. If 4wd seems normal tomorrow I think my son will be very happy.
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

I have a 98 Grand Cherokee with the same leaking issue. I plan on replacing the valve cover gasket and rear main seal this summer. These problems aren't a huge issue and shouldn't be a deal breaker.

One thing I would also look into is replacing all the control arm bushings and sway bar end links with bushing. It will feel brand new
Unread 04-05-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

Funny you mention the sway bar end links. They guy bought new ones but just hasn't put them on yet. They will be replaced. Thanks again!
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

After driving the car home last night and to work this morning the guy is telling me it's still stuck in 4WD. Should it take that long to work it's way out? Is it possibly going to need a new transfer case? Any suggestions on seeing if it will come out of 4WD?
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

adjust the linkage.
Unread 04-05-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
bigjimslade
2007 KJ Liberty 

He called me back and said that he took it in some grass and was able to get it out of 4WD. Are they really that picky about being on dry pavement? Is it OK to run it in Full-Time 4WD on dry pavement? Not that there's a real need to do that I'm just wanted to make sure we don't have this problem again.

Thanks again and again.
Unread 04-05-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Never use part time on pavement. Full time is fine. To put it back in 2wd I have read you need to back up a little then move forward. That's just how the 242 t case is. If you use full time all the time you will stretch the chain.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #10
BlazerZJ
1997 ZJ 

If it is a 242 T Case then when your going from 4 Fulltime to 2WD. Push it hard and fast down into 2wd then as they said put it in Reverse and just let it roll back a couple feet. No need to really put gas to it. You'll feel it disengage and then when you put it back in D it'll be good. Typical for me as well

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.